Back from the ENT — Hyperacusis Diagnosis — Prescribed Sound Therapy — How to Manage That?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fally, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      So just got back from ENT. For the last few weeks my tinnitus seems like it's been getting gradually worse which I kind could see why. I was sure it was stemming from possible over protection leading to hyperacusis. I've always kind of felt like I might possibly have had it even before everything got worse but was never diagnosed with it.

Anyway everything was getting so bad that I was taking weeks off work because I couldn't deal with it. So my doctor sent me to a new ENT. Walked in, explained it all, and she came out and said you have hyperacusis.

Apparently I now have to have sound therapy? I am a little apprehensive though because I can't even watch TV or listen to music or do any of that stuff without my ears being royally ticked off so I'm not sure how sound therapy is going to help and not tick them off.

Anyone been through this and can shed some light?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sorry to hear of your hyperacusis. I have not been through sound therapy, but one point I had some mild hyperacusis to all sorts of sounds, and it was damn annoying, and I was jumping when the microwave beeped.

I hope the sound therapy works for you.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      I am a little apprehensive, I just went on there website and im not fond of what I read. But we will see what they have to say. My ears have always reacted even before tinnitus to having sound directly into my ear canal, even when I was little. So I'm hesitant over the very idea of shoving some "hearing aid" into my ear that I know will just annoy my tinnitus.

I was feeling some hope but after reading what they wrote on there website I'm not feeling really low about everything.

4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      You will have to tell them your concerns, and see how it goes. Keep us updated, and really hope it works out for you.

5. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I know how people feel here about P. Jastreboff but his TRT sound therapy could actually work in the treatment of hyperacusis.

Cochlear hyperacusis can be treated with acoustic therapies such as tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT). The Jastreboff TRT method is the treatment of choice and can result in recovery of normal or near-normal dynamic ranges of sound tolerance.”

Source: https://vestibular.org/sites/default/files/page_files/Cochlear Hyperacusis and Vestibular Hyperacusis.pdf

I know of one ENT who instead of pushing people into the use of in-ear noise generators saw success with having patients to listen to white/pink noise via speakers.

"The Hyperacusis Network have made some CDs available of pink noise, which is a sound that has all the frequencies present in it, but with the high frequency ones boosted."

Reference: MCKENNA, L., BAGULEY, D., & MCFERRAN, D. J. (2010). Living with Tinnitus and Hyperacusis. London, Sheldon.