Back to Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by I who love music, Dec 7, 2014.

1. christinefisher
      Worried

christinefisher Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Thans a lot! As I mostly hear my T during the nights and at quiet rooms, making the pencil marks method is hard for me (as I am trying to sleep during that moments and need to relax..). But I am making the rest part of it; instead of measuring it (it is the hardest part not to measure it) I simply focus directly on my feeling for it.
      I already saw differences and more silent moments so yeap, it works I think! Thank you for posting this once again :)

• Like Like x 2
    2. Kez

Kez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

• Like Like x 1
    3. Kez

Kez Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there,
      Just wanted to thank you for sharing your story, I've been trying this technique for nearly a week now and I'm feeling amazing! I started with really loud tinnitus in January this year, it's been just terrible, I've had an MRI and various other tests and have been told the usual line "learn to live with it"... The worst thing anyone can tell you!
      I found this forum last Friday, and your post, and I have been measuring my response rather than freaking out about the noise level, and yes, it's working! Thank you!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. christinefisher
      Worried

christinefisher Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      You are right, this is actually the worse the doctor can tell..
      Mine told me the same, something like it is not that loud, you will simply ignore it later on, learn to live with it and it will be gradually ignored.. There is no cure for it..
      At first I think all of us get frustrated and desperate and tend to measure the loudness all the time and then feel worse and panic and the vicious circle goes on and on..
      This technique helped me also as instead of focusing on sound I focus on my feelings. If we also manage to make these feelings 'happy', I think it will be better for our overall psychology!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi
      It's strange, doctors telling us to learn to live with it. You'd think they'd know about some of this type of cognitive therapy, or whatever it's called.
      It sounds like you're going to do fine. Keep putting all your faith in the method, keep measuring your responses, energy, and mood.
      It's been almost 2 years for me and this method turned my life around.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    6. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Today it is really bothering me!
      I've been reading, and I think this method is a lot like the TRT exercises from the Jastreboff model.
      Here is a quote from their website www.tinnitus.org.
      4) Try and identify your emotional and body reaction to the sound, and reduce this by a small amount each time. This is an aversive conditioned reflex response. It takes a long time to retrain conditioned reflexes (like hand writing, or your golf swing!). Be patient.

Do all these exercises for only such time as you experience no unpleasant reaction (may be 10 seconds to start with). Do this perhaps 10 times a day only. The rest of the time you maybe reacting as before, with distress, that’s OK in the initial stages.
      Sorta sounds like what we are doing. no?
      Working on our reactions and feelings instead of volume.
      Anyway, right now my emotional reaction is annoyance!

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Yes... sorta.
      Except I don't have to try to reduce my reaction.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      A couple days ago I had a spike. That's all I'm going to say about it.
      I was almost too freaked out to do the method. But I did. And unlike the last great two years, something kept telling me, "This won't work.... You need relief now .... Oh my god ... How long is this going to last.. etc..."
      I forgot how horrifying it can be. Anyway, everything's back to normal.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Whew..good to hear you are back to normal..it inspires me!
      Hopefully I won't have to try and reduce my reaction either one day.., but today
      it is really bothering me. I keep "marking my paper" with lots and lots of marks.
      My emotional reaction is anger right now!

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      You're doing it!!
      I'm sure your number of responses, energy level, and moods will change. This early time is the hardest part, congratulations!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    11. adrian_em

adrian_em Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearm
      Hi everybody, I've had an entire 1 month with all the nights with good sleep. During the day I don't hear it all the time. The bad news is that sometimes I think of it - is it still there? And then I hardly make myself to not think of it. I keep hammering at it, you do the same.

12. Composer

Composer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Composing and listening to music louder than usual
      It started a six nights ago for me. I'm going to try to do this technique! While I've tried it now, it hasn't seemed to help and I seem to hear my T even when I'm not thinking about it. Although I definitely notice it immediately if I think about it. Measuring my response is an interesting way of reacting, I'll see how I go! Fingers crossed.

13. Damage_Inc

Damage_Inc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Another T sufferer. I'd put my T as most likely low to moderate and in left ear only. It's 24/7 and I suffer from headaches too. 4 and a half weeks into this journey. :)

I've read the entire thread and have been fascinated by the technique here. I've accepted inside that this thing is forever. It's not going away (unless a magic bullet comes around) and I have to deal with this *myself*. I started reading this thread yesterday and got through half of it. When I became aware of the T I started saying to myself "Tinnitus is harmless and I will be healed!" It turned into a mantra and I'd say it over and over again. Every time I felt it intruding I started up the mantra and, unbelievably, it subsided. I then started my commute home and walked to my local train station and had 10 minutes of peace and quiet. I then repeated it and almost became giddy with it.

This morning, woke up, same old intrusion and I started up the "fight" again. And same thing, some subsidence. Not as much as yesterday but a definite reaction. Later morning and this afternoon has been more difficult and I've had distractions at work which have made me listen to the T instead of fighting back. However, I'm happy knowing that this may work for me. If I can intellectualise this and not be fucking scared of it, if I can objectify it and say, "FUCK YOU!" and rationalise the bastard into submission/habituation then I will personally kiss the ground you walk on Terry. :D

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      oops

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Step One

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Good for you.
      From reading your post I feel you'll get there faster than you think IF you concentrate on Step One.
      This technique doesn't require you "accept" T, or fight it, or describe it. Just do the method and let it do its thing.
      It's damn hard to stop describing T - I know. I used to go from person to person, "Do your ears ring?" I believe I was on the edge of insanity. I gave up. I surrendered. I quit describing it, measuring it, and listening to it. All it took was a pencil.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      UPDATE:
      Man, it doesn't seem like almost 2 years.
      I'm still improving. Now I've been going a week or two with only one response.
      This is just incredible. And I've learned how much T effects everything in life. T really stinks.
      But I threw my paper away a long time ago and now I only make the mental note, "One response this week."
      If I hadn't experienced this myself, I truly don't know if I would have believed it. So simple.

Hang in there, folks.... and keep that pencil and paper handy.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I can't believe how many feelings and reactions I have with this.
      Last few days, I've had a lot of "confused" reactions, I just can't figure it out..
      There doesn't seem to be words to describe how I feel...
      but I am starting to feel that whatever I'm feeling, feels a bit more positive..
      I think I'm scared to feel positive, b/c don't want to get my hopes up, so then
      I feel sad that I think I'm just trying to convince myself I feel positive, but I
      think I DO feel secretly positive...is that even a feeling? lol
      Yep, I'm going batty..but I guess better then anger at this point..

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. acharax

acharax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1991
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I started BTS 3.5 weeks ago, diligently attending to my moods and making marks in my notebook. My mood has been significantly elevated, to the point that friends have commented on it. In addition, my energy level is way higher than the past few years. So something is working. Unfortunately, the T is the same overall and today it's worse, because instead of being just in my right ear it's in both ears and it's loud. Quite discouraging, since the main thing I want to get rid of is still here in spades and two "side effects" have gotten better.

I'm trying to see the bright side, that if my energy and mood have responded to BTS then the T will too; it will just take more time. Has anyone else had this experience?

BTW, Damage, I like your mantra very much and will start using it.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It sounds like you're on the right track.

But in order to not hear your T, you've got to concentrate hard on step #1. With your current changes, I'm sure things will get better... from my experience.

• Like Like x 1
    21. acharax

acharax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1991
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks very much for the encouragement. What with the positive changes that have happened already, I MUST be on the right track, just not focusing enough on step #1, as you say. It's harder to do step #1 than I thought. At least I have more energy and a better mood while focusing more on doing step # 1 right!

• Like Like x 1
    22. Composer

Composer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Composing and listening to music louder than usual
      Okay, this is maybe a bit weird but I've actually found my best way to deal with this is to keep busy and not think about it. Actually over the last week, the only time I've actually heard it has been when people have ASKED me "how is that ringing going?" And I'm like "god damnit." Haha! Easiest is to just forget about it completely. :p

• Like Like x 3
    23. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I don't understand how this is supposed to work for someone with physical ear numbness/fullness/obviously uneven hearing/a deep love of true silence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I have a question. My tinnitus is just more than a sound. That means even when I can mask the sound of it I can feel its weird sensation like electricity running all over my head. That is why I'm thinking that this thing may not work for me. Is there anyone having his/her T like mine? What is your experience with this therapy then?

25. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Yes..I have that weird electricity around my head...but seems to have calmed down.
      One day I noticed..a few months ago..that I didn't have that feeling so intensely anymore..
      It gave me quite a happiness moment to realize that it had gone down...it was especially in the
      back of my head, close to my neck. I sometimes still have the odd feeling of my saliva
      turning to "fizz" as I swallow. Weirdest feeling..kinda scary..but kinda getting use to it.

26. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. High-pitched sounds in my head. 15-20 kHz higher than a dog whistle. It feels like whole head is under electricity. Somatic, that every bite turns the volume up. On milder days, everything works (BTS method, ignoring, acceptance, distration, TRT, whatever is out there). On most days when it is loud, only loud crickets, a benzo or a Trobalt sometimes work. The BTS method is a good method in my opinion. Everyone should try. My method is to ignore it as good as possible and sometimes to accept it as good as possible. But it is a rollercoaster ride in hell. Main mental side effect is anxiety. The louder T, the higher is anxiety.

Stay strong. I believe that it will take a long time for us to habituate.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      Feel like I've made improvements in the last month.

I've stopped used my masker so often. Before I was using it as a crutch but now I only use it at night to get to sleep. The horrible multiple tone T I had a month ago has gone, I think the Betahistine that I was prescribed a month ago after a bad spike has taken the edge off it. Gone back to a base level that's more manageable.

I take 2 tablets of Promethazine 10mg (Phenergan) at night to sleep. Still occasionally get anxious when I can't get to sleep and the masking noise can be too intrusive to get to sleep with.

I've organised a lot of meetings with some close friends during this summer break which has helped a ton. Just spending the afternoon out of the house gets your mind off things as well as pursuing other interests. Still occasionally depressed and wish I could turn the clock back pre-T, but I'm grateful at least there's an improvement just under five months in. Maybe its habituation ?

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Sacrumnemus

Sacrumnemus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It really was hopefull to read this topic. My tinnitus is getting worse each year and when it gets worse, it really scares me.

I want to try this method. But I was wondering. I also have bad hyperacusis. Do you treat hyperacusis the same way? "I feel my ears and it makes me feel like sh*t?"

29. Sacrumnemus

Sacrumnemus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Are "I hear my tinnitus and Im scared it will get worse" ok?

Or "I hear my tinnitus and Im scared this method will not work?"

30. acharax

acharax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1991
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've now been using this method for six weeks with the same results as posted above: better energy and mood, no change in the T. I continue to mark times when I'm especially annoyed by the noise on a card while focusing on my feelings re: the T, but the T just isn't changing in a positive way; sometimes it feels like I'm losing ground when I have two or three or more bad days in a row with noise in both ears. So, I'm experiencing the "side effects" of the BTS method without benefitting from the main "effect" of reduced/eliminated tinnitus. Beyond frustrating. But I'll keep on chugging and hope that the "effect" will eventually happen.