Bad Spike — Things That Go Boom!

Discussion in 'Support' started by frischky, Apr 28, 2018.

1. frischky
      Doubtful

frischky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Well, I am not sure what I can attribute my recent week long spike too.... flew a 3 hour flight on April 18 on a 767. Got a nice middle seat ahead of the engines... but the air con vent for the cabin was right above my head and loud!

I wore some isolating headphones (not ear defenders, but are very good at blocking out noise) and also wore plugs for some of the flight. Next few days T was spiked as per my usual air travel experience. Then on April 21 (Sat) my T was very low (though not as low as it usually gets now and then).

That night at 3AM there was a boom/explosion outside that rocked the house (and my window was cracked a few inches open). Woke me and some other family members up (one who thought I had fallen out of bed). Neighbours didn't notice but a lady about a mile down the road says she was awaken too by the boom.

I still have no idea what the cause was... there is a military firing range a few hundred yards away from me, but al they ever do is practice with firearms. And I seriously doubt they would detonate anything at 3AM surrounded by residential homes... or perhaps it was from a military aircraft going supsersonic.

That morning I woke up with a super bad spike that has persisted for almost a week now, with no signs of subsiding. My ears also feel like they are sore/have fullness.

Probably a rare case, but has anybody here experienced something similar... ie. close to a lightning strike or heavy duty fireworks that are "concussive".

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yes. Close lightning, neighbours letting off professional fireworks, motorcycle backfiring as crossing road, balloon popping in car, loud whistle nearby, car alarm going off directly by me in underground car park and others. T spike eventually subsides but does nothing good for T or H. I now live with ASD. I can have normal days with no H and low non reactive T, but others with v sensitive H and ASD symptoms if I’m exposed too much moderate noise. Continuous ear fullness is one of the symptoms.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      frischky
      Doubtful

frischky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yeah, I always swear that having T attracts the "check this out" people who drive the loud trucks, light up fireworks to startle a group, etc.

If anything positive has come of T for me, it's mindfulness... like not shining my headlights at people unnecessarily as some people are photosensitive etc. Even if people could get paid to take in common sense, there is a whole lot who certainly would not.