BB Gun Pistol Shot Right Next to Ear — Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by Myusername12345, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Myusername12345

Myusername12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      First off I've had a mild case of Tinnitus for about 2-4 years. I'm a 27 year old man. I've had a history of weight issues but have recently lost over 200 pounds. Still on on Amdolpine and Losartan-HCTZ blood presure pills, just so you know my background...I moved 2 years ago and my previous T was has been barely noticeable largely due to louder environment..

3-4 days ago I was fooling around with my (unloaded) BB gun pistol:

Although a BB gun it's still very loud when cocked..

I'm on the spectrum and I simply enjoy fiddling with things, I know it was stupid, but after I cocked it back fully I was swinging it around and accidentally pulled trigger as it was just an inch or 2 from my ear. I was in doors. My ear started ringing immediately and was very painful..the initial explosion of ringing just lasted 20 seconds or so but am still left with some and ear is hurting. days later. I set up appointment with GP, tomorrow was soonest I could get.

I gave it a few days, tried ignoring it. Seemed okay for a day or 2 so I figured I was overreacting Now the pain is worse and ringing more noticeable. My ear feels "full" and sort of vibrates when I talk.

So just wondering what I should expect, will it get better or worse? Anything I can do now? Did I wait too long for appointment?

2. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I would ask about being put on a course of methylprednisolone immediately. Take magnesium and NAC pills as well, and avoid loud sounds going forward at all costs. The sooner you can start the steroids the better.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Myusername12345

Myusername12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the reply. I'm on magnesium chloride for another issue already.

How long would I need to take steroids? I've been on it before for asthma and I don't want to gain any weight back, still overweight and working on fixing that.

Unfortunately I do not drive so couldn't rush to the ER or anything and didnt' seem as bad at the time. My appointment is at 2:30 tomorrow.

Is it likely to improve or get worse? I'm very distressed about this, just when I was starting to get healthy (formerly 450 lbs now 245) then this happens. Seems I just can't catch a break in life.

I do have anxiety issues and tend to overreact to things so I tried telling myself it's fine when ironically may have waited too much to seek treatment.

I had a portable heater running all night the day after it happened which may have been why I didnt notice as much. It's too warm to keep that going ever night though.

4. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Ask the doctor. He probably won't prescribe it anyway.

Well done with your weight loss.

For some people it gets better, for some it stays the same etc. Impossible to tell.

But even if it doesn't improve, you will get better at handling it.

Take care.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Myusername12345

Myusername12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just got back. He referred me to an ENT but did not prescribe anything..

I did order NAC. but would it be too late? It was several days ago now.

6. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Order magnesium as well. They say NAC is mainly a precaution but it can't hurt to take it after exposure as well.
      Actually, don't order it, get to the pharmacy and ask it there. If you decide to take magnesium you have to see which kind though, since some sorts are better absorbed, and some are almost useless.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Myusername12345

Myusername12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have Magnesium Chloride already for another condition. Walgreens did not have NAC but it should be here tomorrow.

8. ACJ

ACJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      DEC 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL
      How is your tinnitus? Any updates?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's possible that the pain and fullness are the result of tonic tensor tympani syndrome. I have experienced this. It's scary but not harmful. I get it when a loud noise scares me and causes my ear muscles to tense up. Anxiety also causes this muscle tension. If you can reduce your anxiety (not easy, I know), it should go away.

The ringing is another story. It may go away or it may not. I also had a noise exposure and mine never went away. Other people have had theirs go away. I hope you're one of the lucky ones. :huganimation:

Is it one ear or both? For me, it's the left.

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      This should slowly get better, but it will go on for months. Be super vigilant about protecting from any additional sound damage, and do not use headphones or earbuds for anything. Get some good earplugs, learn to put them in well, and be prepared to use them for any loud activity. For example, I had to learn to avoid being under the garage door when it opened, plugs with the electric shaver, while vacuuming, and the paper shredder. I also learned the traffic noise was too loud, and to wear them in my backyard, and a few stores and restaurants that play music too loudly. I also watch TV and listen to the car radio at minimal volume.

Also, do not wear plugs all day, and keep them out when home as much as possible when it is not noisy.

With a lot of mental energy, work, and a month of daily omega3 supplement, my T is on the mend, I still have good and bad days, but generally better at this point.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Agree Agree x 1