Been Reading for a Few Months. Noise-Induced Tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DAL523, Mar 3, 2018.

1. DAL523

DAL523 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi all,

I've been learning from this forum for a few months, basically since my symptoms started. It's not as bad as some cases, and I feel fortunate for that. I want to avoid things that might further damage my ears so it doesn't worsen.

On January 4, a friend asked me to meet her at a restaurant to hear a band she liked play. I didn't know anything about the group, but figured it couldn't be too bad noise level at a restaurant. (I normally avoid really loud places or wear earplugs). Plus, I could only stay for 30 minutes of concert, so I didn't worry too much about it.

The band ended up being a rock band, and the music seemed to get louder as it went. However, I think the problem was the screaming. At one point the musician had the whole crowd scream, and it's the only time my ears have ever physically hurt from noise. I left five minutes later.

Anyways, the ringing hasn't gone away in the past 2 months. It has reduced so I only notice it in pretty quiet places. It has become concentrated in my right ear, which is the one that most directly faced the stage. It seems louder when I'm fatigued. I saw an audiologist; they said I hadn't lost hearing in normal frequency ranges.

I can live with this, but I would obviously rather it go away. I'm hoping it will diminish. I carry earplugs pretty much everywhere now in case I end up in a loud environment. I've learned from several friends and family members that they experience something similar from concerts too. It's funny how none of them ever talked about it.

This is a really good group. People need to understand how tinnitus can develop. You all have given me a lot of encouragement.

Peter

PS: As I read the forum more, I'm seeking to understand how to prevent it from getting worse. For example, is listening to quiet-ish music with headphones dangerous if done for many hours (say at work). Are concerts ok if you wear earplugs 100% of time? What changes will help and what don't matter is important to know.

• Like Like x 1
    2. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      You and I are pretty much in the same boat, and i assure you it gets better, it just takes a long time. Im 3.5 months in and things are so much easier now, although its still there which is still bugging me. There will be times when its all positively going away and times when it seems like its done nothing since onset don't worry too much about it. This is down to how much sleep your getting etc more than anything. Your ears are now damaged though and they need rest. Noises from busy places that you alway consider to be nothing are now something and id reduce the amount of noise in your life as much as you can by either avoiding it or plugging your ears. Id definantly never use headphones at all from now on. The less you stress your ears the more likely they will settle down and if it goes away remember you can't do live music from now on at all. You might get away with plugs but then you might not and T is not something id personally like to gamble with. good luck

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DAL523

DAL523 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear. I'll try to take your advice about being extra cautious to heart. It feels like the right thing to do.