Beeping Tinnitus Returned After Being in Remission for a Long Time: Suspected ETD

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lorna Donovan, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Lorna Donovan

Lorna Donovan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there,

I have posted before a long time ago now. My name is Lorna and I am a 47-year-old woman who works a a teaching assistant.

Three years ago I had tinnitus in left ear, it was intermittent and like beeping that would eventually become one long tone. It would stop but always start again. After several visits to GP who on first visit observed what he said was a bubble on eardrum and gave me antibiotics and a referral to ENT, tests and MRI revealed nothing. This went on for about 6 months on and off. It did however stop for a long time and I thought I was cured. It did reoccur briefly now and then but I became used to it.

About three weeks ago same ear starts up again the same as it did before. Beeping noises and longer sounds, also popping feelings in my ear and some on and off feelings of fullness and a tickling sensation sometimes. The only symptom that makes me very down is the tinnitus. The intermittent beeping drives me crazy! I also find I am sensitive to some noises. Some food packaging rustling, cars etc. This is all in my left ear. I suspect I have ETD as I do suffer from blocked nose in the morning but have suffered from this for years and never really worked out why I get this. I am now waiting for GP to get back to me and am thinking of going private. The thing is I know there may be nothing they can do. I just want to understand what it is causing this as I never got a diagnosis. I was just told great news scan is clear now go and live with it. I have no hearing loss .

I wondered if there is anyone who can relate to these symptoms can give me any information.

Many thanks in advance.

Lorna

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Gareth Davies
      Dreaming

Gareth Davies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection & ETD
      Hi Lorna,

Although I can’t diagnose the beeping tinnitus, I can relate to the ETD.

How often do you experience popping, crackling, pain, pressure or temporary hearing loss in that ear?

The ETD might be fixable via balloon dilation surgery (it was only approved a year, maybe two years ago in the medical world).

It’s something I’m going to discuss with my private ENT soon anyway.
      Maybe mention it to yours? :p

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lorna Donovan

Lorna Donovan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Gareth. Thanks for your response. My hearing is fine in that ear although when I suffer it does become sensitive to certain noise. The popping is often when I am waking up. Sometimes the beeping/chirping stops for prolonged periods but comes back at night. I have read about the surgery. It sounds amazing although would be scared to try in case it made it worse. I just want a doctor to tell me what it is. There has to be a reason as it’s in one ear. Just frustrated by it now.

4. Gareth Davies
      Dreaming

Gareth Davies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection & ETD
      Hmmm, being sensitive to certain noises - as in it causes pain?

Or that certain noises trigger the tinnitus more often?

Do you suffer from tinnitus spikes?

If it's popping when you wake up, and on a regular basis, that might be a symptom of ETD (I've mentioned the other symptoms above).

Or maybe you have a lingering sinus issue/sinusitis? You mentioned the blocked nose - and having it for years - I would probably start here.

"Nasal congestion from a severe cold, flu, or sinus infection can create abnormal pressure in the middle ear, impacting normal hearing and causing tinnitus symptoms."

Perhaps consider speaking with the doctor about a nasal spray?

Were you exposed to any loud noise prior to it starting up again?

Are you taking medicine for any reason - as some can be ototoxic (bad for your ears) - resulting in accumulative damage?

Any build-up of wax?

Any history of otosclerosis in the family?

Do you feel dizziness or vertigo at all?

Any pain emanating from the side of your head, a symptom of TMJ?

A scan would rule out a benign tumour - so you most likely don't need to worry about that.

When your doctor looked at your ear, was there any sign of scarring on the eardrum?