Benadryl and Melatonin

Discussion in 'Support' started by JodieStephens, Jun 12, 2018.

?

Has Benadryl or Melatonin helped you?

1. Benadryl yes, only

2. Melatonin yes, only

3. Benadryl + Melatonin, both

4. Neither has

5. I haven't tried either

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have habituated completely (99%, there is still paranoia) after like 7 months. Benadryl and Melatonin have helped a little.

I take 3 mg of Melatonin and half a Benadryl.

What happens when I don’t take them? Well early on in the seven months my tinnitus would get a little worse, but the next day I would take Benadryl and Melatonin and it would help a little.

How much is little? 4/10

But now when I forget to take them there is zero to little difference in loudness.

I think part of Benadryl and Melatonin’s effect is all in my head, that I believed the tinnitus into being a little more quiet. Placebo effect.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Ctjbush
      Alienated

Ctjbush Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music, old age
      I took a capsule of Benadryl to try to help and get some sleep. The next day my tinnitus was probably 3 out of 10 compared to its usual 7 out of 10. I try not to take too much of it because I don’t want to be addicted to it. And I hope I’m not doing anything to my neuroplasticity. What do y’all think?

3. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I’m quite certain you don’t need to worry about getting addicted to diphenhydramine. If that worked, I’d be doing it every night.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      For some people, Benadryl can cause or exacerbate tinnitus. Read one account of a man who took a single dose of it, and 3 years later still had the tinnitus it caused.