Bereavement & Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by emmy2405, Oct 2, 2015.

1. emmy2405
      Snaphappy

emmy2405 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetic/Audio Damage
      Hello everyone, :)

I have been a member of Tinnitus Talk for around 19 months. When I first came here, I was very new to Tinnitus. Since then, I have learnt to cope with it and been teaching and traveling abroad. I wrote a post just after I left the UK about how I had learnt to habituate with Tinnitus and still carry on with my future goals...

However, 18 months down the line my Dad has died and I am back in the UK for a minimum of 6 months. His unexpected terminal illness (oesophageal cancer) has been devastating to me and I am finding it hard to cope whilst try not to destroy everything I've learnt mentally about myself the past 18 months. My tinnitus has spiked, and whilst it's not driving me to the point of insanity just yet - it pushes me to ask whether any of you have had this happen whilst going through grieving? I can't help but feel that my tinnitus is incredibly louder since being back and with the passing of my father.

Any advice or stories would be good.

Thanks,
      Emmy x

2. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @emmy2405

I am really sorry for your loss..

I developed T a few months after my father passed away, and I believe the loss had something to do with my T..
      So I think your loss could have made you emotionally "weaker" and therefore your T seems higher...

Give it time to grieve and work on your emotions and it will probably go back to baseline..

Wish you well.. Hugs..

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      emmy2405
      Snaphappy

emmy2405 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetic/Audio Damage
      Thank you for your reply @Lorenzo74
      It's been four months and it hasn't really altered yet. Luckily I've had a full time job to keep my brain occupied during the day time. I think you are definitely right in that grief makes you emotionally weaker and therefore that is bound to have an effect. Thank you for highlighting this to me.

I am also sorry for the loss of your father.. there are no words.

Happy New Year. *hugs*

4. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      My mom passed away late January of this year. I was the executor of her will/estate and was thrust into a situation of extremely high volume stress. I then became pregnant, unexpectedly while still grieving. Since then I have had numerous health symptoms that have not been diagnosed like chest pain (lasting 11 weeks, 3 ER trips, numerous cardiologist visits etc) and then my tinnitus started. I really believe stress can play a part in tinnitus. I'm sorry that your father passed away and I understand the pain that causes. Clearly, I don't have any advise I just wanted to tell you I'm in a similar situation. :huganimation: