Best dB-Meter?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The_T, Sep 11, 2015.

1. The_T
      Question it

The_T Member

Which is the best dB-meter?

I have a couple on my phone, for e.g. "Noise Meter" and "Sound Meter" of which I think "Noise Meter" is the best. "Sound Meter" seems to be a little bit wrong calibrated. But I lack a possibility to store sound-logs for longer periods and when the cell phone screen is turned off. This could be useful. It could tell how loud your day has been without having to look at the phone all the time. This could be used to determinate which periods of your day you are most at risk, and help you change your routine for that period. It could also register sound peaks and sudden high noises which is hard to be prepared for.

Does it exist a dB-meter who can register sound-logs over a long period?

2. Steve721

Steve721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      The_T
      Question it

The_T Member

Thank you for the link.

Yes, it was expensive, and also quite large. I had hoped for a better solution. Although it did get good rates.

4. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
    5. Steve721

Steve721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      FYI, I have the first app that is described in this link (dB Volume Meter) on my iPhone 6. Compared to a well reviewed stand-alone db meter that I purchased on Amazon, the iPhone app is grossly inaccurate--the db levels on the iPhone app are as much as 20db lower than the db shown on my stand-alone meter.

6. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Are the errors uniform across the db scale; or only within certain ranges? -G

7. Steve721

Steve721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      I haven't checked the entire scale, but in the range that I'm most concerned about (sounds above 80db), the iPhone app consistently shows a db level that is around 20db less than my stand-alone meter.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
    9. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just tried dB Volume and Decibel 10th for iPhone 6 and they are about 8 dB apart with Decibel 10 giving me a reading of 35dB and dB Volume about 43Db.