Best Earplugs for Teaching?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MikeO123, May 29, 2019.

1. MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey everyone,

I work in a school part time. It's 5 days a week, 3.5 hours per day. It gets really loud sometimes with the kids yelling and the school bells. I was wondering what the best earplugs for me to wear while teaching would be.

I know about the occlusion effect so I'm worried about wearing silicone earplugs while talking loud or if I have to yell.

I'd hate to quit my job so I'm trying to see if there's a way I can still do it while at the same time making sure my ears are protected.

Thank you for your help.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I would recommend custom moulded ones. They are more expensive, but you can have various filters, and they're extremely comfortable and long-lasting while preserving audio fidelity.

• Like Like x 1
    3. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I read that you have to replace custom moulded earplugs every few years. That’s expensive.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah I think that's what I'll end up doing. I don't want to take any chances. From what I understand they take a little while to have made. Do you have any recommendations on earplugs I could use in the meantime? I've tried Mack's musician's ear plugs but they hurt my ears.

5. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      3-5 years I think is the ballpark.

For example, ACS ones start from $185. There are other manufacturers too.

It depends what you value in life. For anyone who has tinnitus / hearing loss, this is one of the last things I would skimp on.

For me, that price over the years is well worth the unrivaled comfortableness and cleaner sound - actually not feeling like everything is muffled around me.

6. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Just searched for some options for you; one that appears to have good reviews is EarDial HiFi Earplugs.

But haven't tried them myself so can't vouch for them personally.

Let us know what you end up trying - and if you opt for the custom ones, please add your experiences so others can benefit from it! :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Look at the Eargasm musician plugs. Also, try a cheap pair of silicone plugs, such as 3M EAR soft that are NRR 25, and I find I hear speech quite fine with.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you I really appreciate it. I'll definitely post my experience when I get them.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'll look into the Eargasm plugs. I've been using silicone plugs but I'm worried about the occlusion effect causing more damage because my speech is much louder when I wear them.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I use silicone plugs a lot, including times when I've had to yell, and I think they're fine. I would at least start with more experimentation there before going with something really expensive.

all earplugs will cause the occlusion effect if they're inserted properly; if you seem to be getting more "boom" with silicone plugs than you do with foam ones, I would try inserting the silicone plugs in such a way that you don't force excess air into the ear canal. This is a little bit hard to describe, but basically when I put them in, I do it in such a way that the canal isn't sealed until the plug is just about fully inserted, and then retract it slightly, which creates very slight negative pressure, which removes that "boominess", or at least reduces it to the same level I get with foam plugs.

Also, there's a neurological mechanism that kicks in to prevent the sounds of our own screams from damaging our ears, in general: https://www.livescience.com/586-screaming-deaf.html

I might also look into Dubs 12db filters, depending on the volumes you're talking about. When properly inserted, 12db is a more than 50% reduction in objective volume, and I personally have found these basically fine for kids yelling in my face at ear-level. I really like Dubs, but they're stupid overpriced for what they are (around $20/pair, they should maybe cost 25% that based on materials and build quality).

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah I know what you mean actually. I've been doing that with the silicone ones too but was worried that when I did that maybe I wasn't getting enough protection.

Thanks for the link, that's really interesting and good to know.

The Dubs look great, unfortunately they're sold out now though.

12. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      Hello @MikeO123

You mentioned earplugs hurt your ears...assuming this is regarding foam earplugs...mine as well...I'm guessing it is common. There is a "trick" to making the foam earplugs not hurt as much when wearing them; somebody's Amazon review for 3M foam plugs made me aware of this. I don't know if I ever would've thought of it, or how widely-used it is. It does actually work for me...but I believe it reduces the effectiveness of the foam earplugs slightly...but when you cannot tolerate the pain anymore it makes a huge difference (based on my experience).

There is always room for experimenting with this idea and altering the methodology to whatever works for you. Basically, after you have inserted the foam earplugs and let them expand as you would normally do, then back the earplugs out (by the usual twist-out method), but not all the way, then after waiting a moment to let them expand again, you push them back in with your fingertip(s). Be careful not to push them in too far so that you can't get them out. For me when I push them back in they automatically stop when they hit a bend in the ear canal (I assume that is what's happening), and are quite far in. I don't know what that does and why it helps, but it is not nearly as painful to continue wearing them.

I'm happy this guy shared that info as it has helped me. I do agree with him (as he implied it) that the earplugs are not quite as effective after you do this, but when your ears hurt so much that you can't even think, it is something to do.

For me the occlusion effect is far better with foam earplugs than with custom earplugs, which is why I usually don't wear my custom earplugs when I need to speak.

I own and wear custom "musicians" earplugs for different reasons, the ACS Pro type and Etymotic type (each have their own type of button filters and ACS can make plugs for either type of button even though their website doesn't show an option for the Etymotic type, also Etymotic/ER style earplugs are available through many audiologists and companies)...but again the occlusion effect is there and at times it has been somewhat painful to speak while wearing them. I believe this is partly due to the fact that they do not seal within the ear canal completely since they are relatively hard (silicone vs foam) and cannot press against the canal fully as a foam earplug can. Or possibly simply because they are harder and reflect the sound more. Someone needs to invent a custom earplug that is softer and conforms more to your ear canal...that is what I think.

Here are 2 companies I came across that try to address the occlusion effect with their custom plugs...I do not own and have not tried them, but I sure would like to. The ones from 64 Audio sound like a promising option with a pneumatically interactive vent (not that I understand it), and the ones from Big Ear I believe have a secondary channel and filter within the earplug. If I ever try them out (meaning I purchased them for myself), I will let the TinnitusTalk forum know what I think.

Here are the links...

https://acscustomusa.com/product-category/hearing-protection/
      https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/erme.html
      https://www.64audio.com/product/Custom-EarPlugs
      https://www.bigearinc.com/product/custom-earplugs-for-musicians/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thank you! Actually the ones that hurt my ears were Mack's musicians earplugs. I got some foam ones but I'm always worried about inserting them too deep and damaging my eardrum, maybe I should give them another shot. Thank you for the links! I'll look into them.

• Like Like x 1
    14. bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS
      Buzzed

bSiDeQuiEtWaTeRS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1997
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      soundwaves, transformers, vibrations, sirens, decibels, life
      Sure :) I have never had the foam plugs go in so deep that it has touched my eardrum (at least I've never sensed that), nor have I put them in so deep that they got stuck. I can insert them so far that the outer end of the plug is flush with the opening of the ear canal...they do take more care plus more time to get them out that way. But I usually try to leave 1-3 millimeters of plug sticking out to grab onto. When they hurt I do the thing I mentioned of backing them out and pushing them back in.

I wish you well in working at the school and finding a solution for your hearing...use your best judgement and be safe and sound...wherever you work and go!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      My acoustic trauma and subsequent hypercusis and tinnitus, has put me out of a job. I miss teaching in schools, I had a good job... moan... moan... cry.

Huge financial stress for my family and I as I hustle private tutoring jobs and adults.

Is what it is. I am sure my teaching career is over. I got to change and accommodate to the new parameters.

I miss the kids... I enjoyed my job.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That's good to know about the foam earplugs. I definitely wasn't putting them in far enough because they were sticking out of my ear and didn't feel secure. Thank you! I appreciate it.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I wish you well in wherever your career and life takes you.