Best Noise to Mask Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by quebecertinnitus, Nov 22, 2016.

1. quebecertinnitus

quebecertinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere and ...??
      Hi there,

What is the best noise to mask pulsatile tinnitus? What is the best noise to sleep? Pink or white? What sounds have helped you?

2. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      White noise makes it worse for me, try rain sounds :)

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Most people find the sound of nature therapeutic so consider using a sound machine. Try not to mask your tinnitus so that it is completely covering up the tinnitus. It is better to set the sound slightly lower than the tinnitus.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I discovered that my stupid, clever brain has the amazing ability to filter out white and pink noise and focus only on the tinnitus when I tried it, in a way, making the tinnitus seem louder - so I don't o_O

I tried a few things, but in the end, I found out that leaving a fan in a remote corner of the room (not pointing at me, just to create a bit of noise) and then the TV also on, but very quietly works best. Layering of noises if you will, so as to try and replicate typical distractions throughout the day. The TV is set to go off after 1 hour and the fan remains on all night. During spikes, it is of no help, so then I turn up the TV to a more typical noise (still pretty quiet compared to most) and then leave it on all night, but most of the time it works without needing to do this.

5. Mahr
      Doh

Mahr Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably hair cell damage
      Everyone has to figure out what kind of noise helps. Like Owen my T seems to "recognise" the masking sounds and will make itself heard pretty loud. So I stopped masking it. I just try to relax with my favourite kind of music. and going to sleep I simply ignore the T. for me it's the best way to handle it, but as I said.., everyone has to figure out for him/herself what helps him/her the most/best.

6. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I use a fan/white noise generator called Lectrofan. I'm don't really care for the white noise sounds, but I do like some of the fan sounds. For me it creates an external sound distraction where if I need to focus on something other than the tinnitus I can listen for the fan sound. I have two, one for my office and one for the bedroom. I leave it on when I am sleeping.

Also there is a website called Coffitivity that will play background noise that sounds like a cafe with people talking. I've found this to be helpful in the afternoon or evening when I am on the computer. Sometimes I use coffitivity iPhone app at work.

7. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Is pulsatile tinnitus constant rhythm? or does it change according to music...?

8. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      The sound of my sink works best. I have like 3 diff versions of sink sounds lol

9. Oli
      Hurting

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hey Im also from quebec! The best for me is crickets noise.

10. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      @Owen gave an excellent answer.

The brain is very clever ... it cannot be distracted by a single noise ... so there is no best sound to mask T... we need to give a cocktail of sounds to distract it ... best background noise i found was in India.... there is plenty of it and its so random and complex that my brain could not ignore it.....i am yet to figure out how to replicate it here in the UK!

11. SeekIngAlpha

SeekIngAlpha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Me Too. Must be l'hiver et le froid thats responsible for the t. Rigole

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      quebecertinnitus

quebecertinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere and ...??
      thank you everyone for your suggestion! I will look into all of them and find the noise that suits me better ;)