Bipolar Meds That Are Least Likely to Cause Ringing in the Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert44, May 1, 2016.

1. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I know someone that needs to go on meds for bipolar. They call these mood stabilizer drugs. They all at least what I have looked at list "ringing in the ears" as a possible side effect. Some of them say that it is a rare side effect. I couldn't find any that didn't list the ringing as a side effect at some possible point. Do any of you have any experience with these drugs? Has anyone taken these without getting ringing? Thanks for your help....

2. cjb2811
      No Mood

cjb2811 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lamictal & Tegretol
      If you read my posts you'll see my experience. Lamictal took my moderate tinnitus to severe after less than two weeks. After one year and positive life changes the tinnitus receded to a pre-Lamictal level.

A few months later my depression returned and I made the mistake of taking Tegretol. It has been over ten months, and taking only two doses of the medication has my tinnitus through the roof and my life essentially ruined.

I took Depakote for two weeks and it had no effect on the tinnitus, but went off it for other reasons.

Of course everyone is different, but be very careful with these medications.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I took Klonopin for a while and at first it lowered my tinnitus but then later it increased it. I would advise that the person take Omega 3 fatty acids such as found in fish oil to see if that helps. It is natural and shouldn't do anything unnatural to the body. If that doesn't work then try something else.