Bizarre Tinnitus Experience

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ivan, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Ivan
      Amused

Ivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 18th, 2013
      Last night, I've came to the point where I didn't even hear tinnitus, but then I decided to program and a fan in my laptop was bursting because it's usual procedure when laptop is very hot. Anyway, three hours later, when I turned my laptop off, my tinnitus was really loud. Probably because of the fan. I went outside and tried to keep calm because I was really scared. When I went to sleep, my tinnitus actually helped me sleep. I heard noises similar to those you hear in summer. Those bugs that you hear in the night. I am not sure why, but it helped me to fall asleep. I find this very bizarre.

My tinnitus is now a little louder than usual, but I still don't notice it over day.

Did anyone else have bizarre tinnitus experience(s)?

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Were it the sound of crickets?

Do you still hear the new noises?

It's a good thing the tinnitus doesn't distract you during daytime. I'm sure the little spike will subside soon. Laptop fan just isn't loud enough to cause permanent damage.

Markku

3. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      The fan acted as white noise. Stopping it brought T to the fore. Plus, you were finished working and listened for T.

• Like Like x 1
    4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Yes most of the time, my tinnitus helps me go to sleep.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ivan
      Amused

Ivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 18th, 2013
      Couldn't reply earlier because I was staying at the place where there is no internet connection.

Yes, it was the sound of crickets. I don't hear the new noises anymore, but it's back to the silent-mode, so to speak. I can hear it only a little, and only in night time, but it doesn't bother me.

But hearing a sound of crickets on my non-tinnitus (right) ear was really weird. There aren't crickets where I live, only on seaside.

What sound do you hear?

6. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      This is the first time I've heard of tinnitus being pleasant. I had wondered if it was possible. It seems odd to me that noises can be good or bad, but T noises are always "bad".

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      The tone i hear the most sounds 90% like a CRT tube television when nothing is on the screen. I think i've had it my whole life but only recently got a little louder with some other lower tones in it.
      It can be soothing, or maybe i don't really care and just love sleeping ... :)
      It's annoying the rest of the day though.

8. Piper
      Loved

Piper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2013
      Yea I cant go near fridges in supermarkets its sets off really bad, and funny enough hot food too, lying down as well, I just don't understand the whole thing.

9. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Yours sounds kind of like mine, Piper. I can't watch television for very long before the tinnitus gets very bad. Something just sets it off. Lying down can be bad, too. It would be so nice to be able to take a nap again!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ivan
      Amused

Ivan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 18th, 2013
      It sucks that it's annoying over the day, but then again, you can sleep with it.

I honestly would've never thought that hot food could set it off. This really is weird. But if fridges in supermarket produce any sound, it might be similar to your tinnitus, so that would be the reason for setting it off, I guess.

What kind of television? For me, only those (older) box TVs set off the tinnitus, but LCD TVs don't really affect my tinnitus.

11. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Older TVs affect it most, but all TVs seem to have that effect on mine. Also, buzzing sounds, etc.

12. Venryx

Venryx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lucid dream technique
      I've also had some times where the tinnitus was pleasant. In fact... if I put enough effort into it, I can do so at will the majority of the time--that is, when I can devote all of my attention toward it, like when falling asleep at night.

I've found that the main things causing distress for me about tinnitus are that:
      1) It distracts you. So, say, you're just about to figure something out in programming or the like, then you hear the tinnitus (or think about hearing it), and then you lose your state of mind/progress and get a sound started that further hinders it. That makes me annoyed on a practical level, because it disrupts my work/plans.
      2) It removes the sense of calm that you'd normally be able to enjoy from 'just listening to the quiet'.

Both of these can be resolved when falling asleep. Distraction can happen, yes, but when I decide to just give up and "look straight into" my tinnitus, I realize it's just a sound and genuinely feel no frustration of distraction from it (again, the majority of the time). As for removing the sense of calm, I've found that as long as you recognize it as a not-intrinsically-painful sound, you can replace "peaceful silence" with "peaceful soundpool" (that being the noise of your tinnitus).

Note that although I can do the above, and adjust my 'psyche' to not find the sound unpleasant when falling asleep, I still dislike tinnitus at those times since, 1) in order to work I have to rest my attention solely on the tinnitus, which means I have to stop thinking about other stuff (which I would otherwise really enjoy), and 2) it takes some time to do, like 5 or 10 minutes, and after you've adjusted you kind of just have to stay in that 'cruise control/brainless listener' mode.

Anyway, just realized this is a really old thread, but thought this might be helpful as it really does allow you to fall asleep peacefully, if you have the means and desire to do some "mental reconfiguration" before bed.