Blind Man Regains Sight After Receiving 1st Artificial Cornea Implant

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by PortugalTheMan, Nov 2, 2021.

1. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      An Israeli man regained his sight after a decade of blindness following the first artificial cornea implantation developed by Israeli medical tech company CorNeat Vision, the company announced this month.

The patient, Jamal Furani, a resident of Haifa, began suffering some vision loss 10 years ago due to edema and other background diseases that damaged his corneas, and became bilaterally blind. This month, the 78-year-old became the first person in the world to be successfully implanted with CorNeat’s synthetic cornea, the CorNeat KPro, after the startup received the go-ahead last summer for human implantation.

The procedure was performed recently by Professor Irit Bahar, director of the Ophthalmology Department at the Rabin Medical Center (also known as Beilinson Hospital). CorNeat said that the patient was able to immediately read a text and see family members after the bandages were removed.

Source:https://nocamels.com/2021/01/blind-man-regains-sight-1st-artificial-cornea-corneat/

• Like x 5
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Genius x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    2. Grant1

Grant1 Member

I missed this news.

Thank you for posting it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Medical Science will be able to successfully do brain transplants before an effective treatment for tinnitus is found.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, neck arthritis, combat.
      Or why not a total head transplant?

• Funny Funny x 2
    5. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Sad but probably true.

• Like Like x 1
    6. zingting

zingting Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear syringing/ worsened by ototoxic eardrops
      I hope this gets FDA approval at some point. This is amazing but I swear I've read something similar to this in a Ripley's Believe It or Not book years ago. This really says something about how complicated tinnitus is. If only there were ads on TV and some sort of a bigger push just like what they did with cancer, maybe there would be something by now. I never even knew about tinnitus before I got it but then again I'm 20 years old and have so much to learn.

A lot of people are unaware how bad tinnitus can really get. After over 600+ pages of constant lurking on these forums, going anywhere to gain some glimpse of hope, having to deal with random tones and ringing that appear and disappear in my ear with no guarantee that it won't get worse out of the blue, I would have really liked to have been made aware of tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AxEars

AxEars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus research doesn't have the funding of sight or cancer research, but things are trending in the right direction. You're 20 - you have a fantastic chance at your tinnitus fading over months/years and/or going away completely. You'll see treatments in your lifetime. I'm 33, so we'll both see them. Check this out:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      And of course, doctors too. Or mostly doctors it seems sometimes. I'd like for them to have it on an artificially produced basis for a few days, just once in their lifetimes, so they would "get it".

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. TindalosKeeper
      Depressed

TindalosKeeper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Woke up with it
      Wooow! For someone with diseased eyes like mine, that's one step closer to safer ways to develop a solution to my myopia.

But, just like sigh, hearing is also important.
      It's dumb, right? Why not? Even hearing loss should have more funding for a solution.

I guess the sight research found a breakthrough and capitalized on it. And the rest is history.

I'm hoping that those of us with hearing problems get a breakthrough too.