Bloody Hard Time of It

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elfin, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi all,

Looking for some support and experience. At the acute stage of stress and panic over a spike possibly caused by wind noise.

Played golf yesterday for 4.5 hours. It was windy (south U.K. is currently). I popped some plugs in and had a beanie hat on, but still worried I’ve caused myself harm. Ears ringing worse afterwards and still ringing now. I am in panic as well with the hot flashes, dizziness and nausea that this gives.

Anyone else experienced spiking from wind noise? Cyclists? Scaffolders? Hikers?

Any help and advice welcome!

Bricking it.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

I experienced spikes from wind buffeting after skiing or riding a motorcycle. They never turned into a permanent increase in my T volume. They only lasted a day or two. I began using ear plugs after having that experience a couple of times. That solved the problem.

Did you have the plugs in from the very beginning or did you put them in only after you experienced the wind buffeting for a while?

Anyway, try to relax and calm down because being in a panic mode generates anxiety and stress which can exacerbate a spike and make it last longer.

Hang in there. Your T will most likely return to it's previous baseline.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Yeah, stress can and does cause spikes. Just dont stress out about the spikes.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi @jimH had the plugs in from when I got there as the wind was strong even around the clubhouse.

It was obviously worse when I got to the exposed greens. Just worried due to the duration of the round as well, 4.5 hours. Wind wasn’t howling for the duration, but it was for the majority.

Really praying it settles down and that my desire to have a good time has emddd up with me exceeding my upper noise limit.

Incredibly panicked with the raised volume

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Anyone else get this? Experienced walkers?

6. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I walk a lot, went for a trek on Sunday as well. I’ve never had a spike from the wind even when it’s extremely strong. I never wear plugs as its extremely quiet where I tend to walk with my dog but always have them on hand just in case. I’m sure it will calm down and the stress of it all is adding to the spike. Did you feel stressed or anxious while playing golf about possibly getting a spike?

7. John CC
      Pensive

John CC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Phone ring tone directly in my ear/hearing loss 15% l, 25% r
      Hi Elfin I am new to this T world, only 3 weeks in. Of the many things that has hit me is the importance of stopping, breathing and slowly the stress down, as that seems to make it worse (it did for me at the start until I began to get a handle on it). I have been amazed how stress does affect it, and it is hard as you feel the panic and anxiety move through you. I have been meditating for years and I have pulled on that to help me stop the a(nxiety) wave before it gaines momentum. Have you tried meditating, it can, and does help you slow everything down, and allows you to deal with it on your terms, not on the a waves terms. Just a thought, hope it helps.

I was also wondering what type of ear plugs you use. One of the first things I did was I went out to various stores and purchase a whole number of different off the counter plugs. While they have stiffled the noise somewhat, I realized that I needed more, so I have gone to a hearing clinic and they will be taking a mold and creating a set. They will cost more, but to me it is worth it.
      I know I am new to this world, a world no person wants to enter, but enter it we have. Best of luck, and I hold tight, you are stronger.
      John CC

• Like Like x 2
    8. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      spikes can become permanent most likely if they cause more hearing damage, don't chance it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I ride so I'm familiar with wind noise. Causes a spike. Hopefully yours will subside as mine does.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      thank you guys for all your responses, advice and help.

To provide an update, thankfully this spike did go down after a day or two.

Thanks all

• Like Like x 1
    11. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

Try to remember that the next time you experience a severe spike. That will prevent your anxiety and stress levels from going through the roof which can make a spike even worse or last longer.

Remembering that fact has also helped me many times. During a severe spike, I just reassure myself by thinking "I've been through this many times before and they've always passed. This one will too."

I'm basing my opinion on more than 30 years experience of living with this affliction. I have nothing else to offer other than my own experience.

Really glad to know that you're doing much better....(y)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      thanks @jimH and thanks for your encouraging and reassuring words in my initial panicked state.

It really is amazing how the emotions can play such a role in this affliction. It really is wrestling with an unpredictable demon

• Like Like x 1