Blue Blocker Glasses Experiment for Those Who Wake Up with Loud Tinnitus One Day but Quieter Another

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 15, 2018.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      So I had another idea for an experiment for those that wake up with louder T some days and quieter on another. What I am wondering is if the amount of natural melatonin (not store bought) in your body during the time you fall asleep affects the amount of tinnitus you get when you wake up. Due to the blue light in computer, phone screens, LED lamps, flourescent lamps, and other various forms of light, melatonin levels can be suppressed at night. By using blue blocker glasses, this effect can be diminished. Keep in mind that in a normal sleep cycle, melatonin levels rise and fall. I found this graphic at https://www.benbest.com/nutrceut/melatonin.html that shows what I am talking about:

peaks.jpg

Blue blocking glasses can be found on Amazon. I'm wondering if the best ones to get would be the glasses that would go around your face some to block the blue light from coming in on the sides. Maybe I'm wrong. If you choose to do this, get the pair you want either at Amazon or somewhere else. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-Blockin...36981126&sr=8-3&keywords=blue+blocker+glasses

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Blockin...36981126&sr=8-4&keywords=blue+blocker+glasses

I have worn blue blocker glasses and they are really interesting. Quite a few people use these glasses to get to sleep easier. The idea is to put them on at night. I would say put them on sometime around 8-8:30 pm but if anyone knows of a better time please tell. If you go to sleep earlier though I don't really think this experiment would help you.

I would have tried this out but my tinnitus has been fairly the same upon waking lately. If you try this, please state the results here because if this is stupid idea people should know and if it is, I apologize in advance.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      One thing I forgot to mention that is critical: Put them on at the same time each night and go to bed at the same time. :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Actually, I want to correct the experiment. On thinking about it some more, I think some that go to bed earlier might benefit from putting on the blue blocker glasses sometime around sunset (or also between civil twilight and nautical twilight).

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I just remembered about these glasses.

Even if they don't help your tinnitus, they can help you feel calmer and more relaxed at night, especially if you are at a non-irritable or non-anxious state (if you are in an anxious or hyper state, these may not work as well or fast but they are worth trying).

The other thing I would advise is to keep little night lights that aren't bright in your bathrooms. (They make LED ones that turn on automatically and are low wattage). This way if you need to get up at night, you don't have to expose yourself to bright light by flipping a switch.

If you have to use the computer at night, you can wear the blue blocker glasses or download a program called f.lux that reduces the blue light in your monitor. I have the program and find it to be helpful.

If anyone has used these products, please post your experiences. :)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I posted this experience back in 2018 but mostly forgot about it. I found my blue blocking glasses cleaning up the other day and put it them on late last night. I got the idea because the previous day, I was fairly tired around 11 pm but I had to pick my brother up near the airport. I was tired driving down the road but when I got near more lights near the airport, I got more stimulated. I remember multiple times where I was stimulated at night time by lights with blue light being the absolute worst. I believe I am more sensitive to it than most people.

I remember around 20 years ago, they switched some yellowish fluorescent bulbs out with a blueish tinted flourescent bulb and I immediately got irritated by it. Nobody else seemed to be bothered by it but me. I eventually got them changed back and felt much better.

Anyways, I put the blue blocking glasses on last night and even though lights were off, some light was still going through the closed blinds from the street. This helped reduce that and also when I got up to go to the bathroom. After some time, I felt the most relaxed I have in a long time. It made it much easier for me to go to sleep and my tinnitus didn't seem as loud when I woke up. I'm not sure if that was because it helped me get better sleep and so it's all in my mind or if it did actually reduce it.

Has anyone else tried this?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Did anyone else try this? I really like these glasses. I must be sensitive to light. I was actually a little worked up at the dentist and they had that bright light in my face and one of the assistants gave me sunglasses and I calmed down quickly.

7. RookieReborn
      Scared

RookieReborn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey I’m new to the forum but one change I did make straight away was put all my devices on “Night Shift”. I was spending way too much time on screens so I really feel that could have had an effect on my tinnitus. Night shift basically changes your device screen to warmer tones, as opposed to the harsh blue light.

They have this on Apple devices, not sure what you’re using but might be worth having a browse through your phone settings!

Best wishes

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Yes, they help me. I have a program called f.lux on my computer and a blue light filter on my phone. Thanks for bringing that up because there may be some people on here that could benefit from them!

9. RookieReborn
      Scared

RookieReborn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @JasonP I hadn’t heard of f.lux you know thanks for the heads up, I’m gonna give it a try

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You are very welcome.

• Like Like x 1