Bone Conduction and Construction Sites

Discussion in 'Support' started by kmohoruk, Jul 5, 2019.

1. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Through work, I sometimes need to be on construction sites for short periods of time. Of course I always wear hearing protection, but I've heard it mentioned sometimes that hearing damage can happen through bone conduction.

I was looking to see from anyone on the forum who has experience or knows about when bone conduction can becomes an issue when on a construction site - even with hearing protection. Would it just be an issue for the person using the tool or equipment? Or additionally the person who is within the vicinity of the work?

Any thoughts on this from anyone who has some experience in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @kmohoruk

If external sound is loud enough it can be transferred to the inner ear by passing through the head/skull by bone conduction. This can irritate the cochlea and spike the tinnitus. It is possible that the spike can lead to increasing the tinnitus to a new permanent level. This can occur when a person frequently attends venues where overly loud sounds are present, such as clubs and concerts even while wearing hearing protection.

I don't think you have much to worry about when you visit a construction site, as usually such a place will be in a open environment. Any sound will dispersed over a wide area and not aimed directly at you. Wearing hearing protection should suffice. The fact that you visit the site for short periods makes unlikely any sound/noise will cause harm.

A person can go out and have a nice time at a place of entertainment where music is played. All they need to do is exercise caution, by using appropriate hearing protection when needed, such as "noise reducing" earplugs and not immerse themselves in overly loud sounds for long duration from floor or wall mounted speakers.

Michael

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      Thank you very much @Michael Leigh for the information.

I often use my regular ear muffs when I go to these different sites. If I am around anytime of louder machinery, then I usually throw on some earplugs and muffs as needed.

I can see how being in a small environment like a club (that's not open) and have wall mounted speakers could cause that issue. Thank you for the information :)

• Like Like x 1