Bored to Death — Ever Since Tinnitus I've Got Too Much Time on My Hands

Discussion in 'Support' started by Strife_84, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mixing music for long and too loud.
      Ever since tinnitus I've had too much time on my hands.

My hobbies used to be:
      Creating music
      Playing videogames
      Listening music
      Jogging / running
      Gym

Now?

I can only do the jogging. Still haven't been to gym since my financial situation is not the best and there is usually some loud music playing.

But I can't jog 8 hours per day.

I am bored to death. I've been thinking about learning to code or something. And it doesn't help I am unemployed.

I have too much time. I have no idea how to spend these days...

I have my blog though. Maybe I could write my struggle about this tinnitus...

Anyone else out there who has too much time on their hands because tinnitus is restricting you to do what you want?

2. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Ye. Not even bored. Tinnitus killed downtime. Now what eh?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can handle my tinnitus quite well these days. It's the darn hyperacusis that restricts me of doing what I love...

Also my concentration has been quite bad ever since tinnitus. Not to say it was good to start with but now it's even worse...

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Go for a scenic car ride, turn on the radio low. Eat somewhere you have never been to. It works for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Those should not be hobbies you "used to do" rather hobbies you still do. Tinnitus cannot prevent you from doing any of those activities! Why let tinnitus dictate what you can and can't do? I do all those things on your list and more and my T has remained roughly unchanged since 2012 and probably longer.

I also volunteer a few times a week at a food bank and meals on wheels. You realize that even with T you have a life and there are far worse off people than yourself once you look outside your bubble.

Now get out there and do the things you want to do!! Once you realize you can still do these things, your hypercusis will improve and your mindset with confidence.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I cannot do those at the moment.
      I do play games a little, but my ears feel very uncomfortable if I listen music for a long time and the sound of tinnitus increases. Also I am still sensitive to certain frequencies and my ears get tired quickly. I am still going to wait for a bit longer if this gets better. There has been some improvement, but I think it's too early to risk it.

After all, I've only had this little over a month.

I don't keep myself inside in silence. Last weekend I stayed at nearby when some band was playing music. After that my ears ringed like crazy. But it did not get worse, but I was quite uncomfortable rest of the day.

My situation is bad because I am also unemployed so I have way too much time on my hands, I don't own a bicycle or even a car...

Well, it can only get better.

• Like Like x 1
    7. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      You have a blog? By all means write about your struggle, not only would it be a great way to fill the hours, it would be quite cathartic, also. Maybe you could even share it with other tinnitus sufferers, should you ever feel comfortable doing so.

This could very well be the case. Keep the hope! :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. Unfortunately I struggle writing it. My English is not perfect and for some reason if I cannot do something perfectly, I don't do it at all.

My perfectionism is slowing me down. I know nobody cares if I have word wrong here and there. Maybe I am just depressed because I was supposed to write small reviews about my new music software i got.

Then I got this T so I was not able to proper testing etc. And soundclips for my review.

I was thinking about writing about my tinnitus and mental health issues. I am not the only creative person who has tinnitus or mental health issues.

I am just bit overprotective about those things, at least my cyclothymia.

But maybe someday I write about those. They even could help people.

I have many ideas but for some reason my brain cannot fire up and make that thought into action. That is not because of T. Maybe it's my cyclothymia, I don't know. I've had issues with this a long time.

Been thinking about going to adhd test or some sort. I do get bored easily.

"omg omg omg I wanna write a blog! About games, my music, movies! Mental health issues, nature, space!"

Then I am like a kid at Xmas eve, filled with enthusiasm and joy. 3 days later...I've managed write something but not everything. "oh I'm bored. What's next?"

I even get bored watching movies these days. I get bored while I play games.

It's a horrible feeling. I know I have the time, but I just can't get anything done.

Then suddenly....i work my rear off. That's how I got my T.

I was super excited again. So excited I forgot to eat my dinner 2 days in a row.

Now I would like to work with my music but I can't yet. And I can't figure out what could give me the same rush as making music does.

Back in the days when I still had my car and when I was bored I used to go out for a ride and let her rip. That moment of acceleration and adrenaline rush... I was no longer bored...

Sorry about long post.

9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      This is a new thing for you @Strife_84. It is okay to take time for quiet just start doing things slowly.

I love organizing stuff. For example your closet. Take everything out and clean it up and then just put stuff back in. Get rid of stuff you haven't worn or used for a while. Organize your dresser drawers.

I even bought a can of white paint and painted the inside of my closet to make it feel new and fresh.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately I am very organized person :D but I should do some cleaning this week. Maybe wash my windows...

Thank you for support :) I have my hopes up. My condition has improved during these weeks. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Handicrafts and photography are good ways to spend an hour or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Strife_84
      Energetic

Strife_84 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I regret the day I sold my Olympus...

13. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Sorry to hear your troubles. I am in the same boat to a degree as there is no excitement anymore and bored at times. I can no longer DJ and cannot go clubbing. My ears are really sensitive too and seem anything remotely loud will spike my Tinnitus. Very concerned now both ears are playing up as my good ear has become sensitive. There is not much to look forward to now......

14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      It will get better and because it is early on, it is very understandable that you want to step away from these activities for a while

• Like Like x 1
    15. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      play videos games with no sound, I do.
      If you want to learn a new skill, use sites with closed captions like Lynda.com.
      2 other sites, strictly for coding, that offer captions is https://www.raywenderlich.com/ and https://teamtreehouse.com
      Also Masterclass.com offers captions.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Get a dog, mine drives me up the wall...i spend half the time running in circles but it keeps me so occupied i am too busy to think about T.

• Like Like x 1
    17. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Might do this once i am 1 year into T.