Born Deaf, Recently Got Tinnitus — Can Hypothyroid Medication Help Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by keenly, Aug 15, 2016.

1. keenly

keenly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      this past week
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I was born with sensorineural hearing loss. I have anxiety and I do listen to music loudly. I know those things contribute to tinnitus. It started around April and it is now August. I am having a really difficult time with it, as I am so used to and love silence, and now all I hear is bird noises in both ears or loud continuous tone in my left ear. If I am really paying attention to it - like actively thinking about it, a ringing will start but that goes away once I am distracted but the continuous tone or bird noises are still there.

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Which would explain a LOT of the symptoms I've been experiencing (extreme fatigue, depression/memory loss, sensitivity to cold, etc.) I am hoping the medication I eventually get for this will help my tinnitus... Is this bad to be thinking? The only thing I can hear now is this, and I can't even sleep because of it even though the hypothyroidism makes me extremely tired all the time. Does anyone know any information about if hypothyroid medication will help tinnitus?

Thank you... :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. PaulC

PaulC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Also mild/moderate hearing loss 5-8K.
      Hi Keenly,

As far as I am aware, Levothyroxine (synthetic thyroid medication) does not affect tinnitus, it certainly hasn't in my case.
      I have been taking Levothyroxine daily since 2003, 150 micrograms which I understand is a medium dose. I can't imagine that my tinnitus could be any worse if I wasn't taking it.

I have had tinnitus for approx 4 years, it's a constant high pitch tone approx 10k-10.5k.
      10000 Hz 10 kHz Sine Wave Sound Frequency Tone

It is loud and it is there all the time in the middle of my head, so pretty much equal in each ear. Sometimes I perceive it to be louder than the TV at normal family viewing volume. however it fades into the background when I don't notice it, but some days it seems louder than others. For me, there is no such thing as silence any more.

Kind regards, Paul

• Genius Genius x 1