Boss Talking Loudly Above My Head for 20 Seconds. Help?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Jan 11, 2019.

1. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, I was at my desk and my boss came by to tell me something. They were right behind me and I was sitting down.

Midway through they started yelling across the room to someone (they needed to project there voice).

It went on for 20 to 30 seconds. About 5 seconds into it, I covered the ear facing him. I felt awkward covering both ears around boss.

Now I think my tinnitus may be louder in my uncovered ear a day or two later. It is hard to tell though because my tinnitus is always super loud. Either that or a new tone.

What do I do in situations like the above? Also, is this a situation that can lead to worse tinnitus and hearing loss?

I took zinc, magnesium, B12, and NAC right after the incident.

I think I can detect a new tone or it is louder. Is the above situation going to cause damage or am I overreacting?

Thanks for any help.

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      If I were you I'd stay calm, I would start taking curcumin in relatively high doses and expect this spike to eventually subside in a few days to weeks.

I had a bad spike that lasted a month from noise exposure, it went back down.

Explain your disability to your boss. If he fires you, sue him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It will definitely not lead to hearing loss. For some of us, situations like that sometimes lead to a temporary T spike. (If this were to happen all of the time, I would begin getting concerned about the T spike becoming permanent. In that case, I would wear musician's earplugs to work.) Assuming your boss is unlikely to do this more often than once a month, I think you have nothing to worry about.

In the future, you might want to get up and get away as soon as you hear people nearby raising their voice...

You might try taking NAC.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Is this something that would lead to permanent damage? I was sort of trapped in a cubicle, so hard to escape without making stuff ackward.

I already have some measurable hearing loss in both ears. So I don’t know if that changes things.

I don’t have this happen a lot at work. But obviously things can happen on accident out and about. I carry earplugs with me at all times though.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It shouldn't.

6. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since: