Brain Retraining, Reducing Stress with Supplements

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sleepsnexttofan, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Sleepsnexttofan

Sleepsnexttofan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb. 28 is when terrible tinnitus hit
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music, ear infection, stress, some hearing loss
      Thank you for reading. My tinnitus spiked to an unbearable level this past February 28 with the onset of an ear infection coupled with a bomb of stress I did not handle well that day. I am guilty of not protecting my hearing mostly from loud music and would fit a likely candidate to acquire this terrible affliction.

I came upon a video
      How I Got Better From Tinnitus
      that looks promising. I've started taking this man's "brain retraining" approach. I am wondering if any others have tried this. My ENT mentioned that stress makes tinnitus worse, and my brain is the source of the ringing, however, he did not go so far to say that my brain may be in a state of alarm like this video suggests. In addition to the information in the above video's message, I've ordered some supplements recommended by my local natural guru to relieve the fight or flight stress that could possibly be happening. I've only taken the Kavinance Ultra PM so far for one night, but I did finally sleep (with a fan next to me). It was a really good sleep. I've ordered Adrenotone and NeuroCalm from Amazon as the local naturopath's store is pretty expensive. (Already with two GP visits, ENT visit, and the drugs prescribed and taken from those, I have spent a small fortune.) If anybody has any feedback on these supplements or others like it, I would like to know.

I've already found that my first meditation was helpful. In the one session, I managed to briefly lower the level of my tinnitus. I am not sure if the tinnitus sound was there or not as I was not in complete quiet, but I briefly couldn't detect it in an almost quiet environment. Thankfully, I am now more consciously aware of the peace of staying calm. The tinnitus is not gone. It is loud, but I am of a much better constitution. I will not prosthelytize here, but I did pray with my meditation like the man in the video. I find Bible verses about not fearing and the Psalms verse "Be still and know that I am God" helpful.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Sleepsnexttofan The brain retraining approach is promising from new research where one places emotional focus on beliefs that they feel strongly.

@Laurie1961 has given me some great feedback on dental complications. She also posted a link here titled "Science Alert Scientists Think They're Found The Answer To What Causes Ringing In The Ears". They have and it relates to "looping" parts of the brain that signal each other. Each part of the 'looping' can be influenced by emotions/pain. So if one uses personality traits in a positive way then they can make steps forward. A good friend @Jazzer who I have great love for, expresses his feelings with trying to balance emotional senses in relationship to his life past and present. It's 'stuff happens' and 'it is what it is attitude'. Those that do this react to emotional warmth and physical warmth. They also tend to have a history of doing meditation. So I believe his 'baths' help along with the support of his wife and a bonding with his cats.

For some with moderate to severe noise induced tinnitus, they have a certain pattern of looping. On some neuro/phych boards they discuss that matching your tinnitus sound to a recorded sound along with doing relaxing exercise may start one to lower their perception of tinnitus. I found it interesting that Steve does both.

Those who post on neuro boards have been discussing the University of Illinois study for some time in reference to tinnitus travel for some with severe tinnitus. They are now doing a longitude study that includes daily emotions. There's been many studies of fMRI imaging. One neuro said, I wish we had more MRI's of military personnel with tinnitus before they received tinnitus. It will be interesting to see where that goes.

For those with physical tinnitus as many do have some physical aspects, often just simple treatment will help. First, a X ray of neck may be needed. Even if TMJ/D is included, there's still methods that can help. The University of Michigan study may help if there's soft issue involvement. Sometimes muscles are a secondary factor to joints and nerves. I have heart disease so there's a big factor in back and forth communication between my somatic/physical problems and my heart.

• Like Like x 1