Broadband Sound Generators

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by mexigrl64, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      You mentioned these in your response to me earlier today. I do not have any hearing loss, I actually hear too well with the hyperacusis. It appears all the the devices I've been shown so far are also hearing aids. I did a search on the internet but only found hearing aids with sound generators built it.

Are there certain ones you recommend or a site where I could find them?

Thank you

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      You might be confusing hyperacusis with hyperacute hearing, but either way ... if you do not have hearing loss, you do not need combination units (hearing aid + broadband sound generator) for the sound therapy component of TRT. All you need is a pair of broadband sound generators. That said, there may be a very valid reason why your TRT clinician is recommending combination units; it just is not apparent to me strictly from what you have posted.

My preference is the Tranquil Simplicity I OTE made by General Hearing Instruments in New Orleans. I am very familiar with the device and with the manufacturer, since at one time I worked for GHI as their Director of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Services. I do want to make it abundantly clear that I no longer have any financial ties whatsoever to GHI. I just happen to like the product because of its reliability and pricing.

You are welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      Hi Dr Nagler,

I spoke to Dr Hebert and it will take her 30 days to order these (working for the state adds in a lot of red tape). She did mention that there is an audiologist, Kim Juneau, who has a clinic there (sounds like it is onsite at General Hearing?). Do you know of her? I did an internet search and she does say she specializes in tinnitus. Dr Hebert thought I could get the generator right there and be fitted by Kim. Just wondered what your thoughts were on this route? Dr Hebert could still work with me once I'm back in 3 months (I will be out of the country) but that would give me the chance to start the white noise portion of my treatment while gone.

Thanks

4. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Generally speaking one purchases the devices for the sound therapy part of TRT from the same individual who is doing the counseling part of TRT. But that does not necessarily have to be the case, and if the audiologist who is going to do your TRT counseling suggests that you get the devices elsewhere, I see no reason not to do so.

5. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @mexigrl64, I have given some more thought to the above post, and perhaps I responded a bit too hastily.

In theory what I said is true - providing everything goes smoothly with the sound therapy part of TRT. But I can see a potential problem if it doesn't, because not infrequently the sound therapy requires tweaking.

Here is but one example of what I'm talking about. Let's say, for instance, you develop "six-week syndrome," where in up to one-third of cases the tinnitus actually gets louder after four-to-six weeks of doing the sound therapy, even if you do the sound therapy exactly as you are supposed to do it. Now it turns out that six-week syndrome is actually a good prognostic sign overall, but at the time it happens (if it happens), it can be very distressing to the patient and may require some temporary adjustments to get him or her back on the right track. So suppose for a moment that it happens to you. You have purchased your devices from Kim Juneau, whom I have known for some five years now and hold in high regard as an audiologist. But while Kim does have an interest in tinnitus, she has little, if any, experience in TRT. So whom will you contact in that event - Kim Juneau (who doesn't do TRT) or Laurie Hebert (who has not yet started your TRT counseling)?

In my own clinic it works differently. I do not sell devices at all; my patients can buy their devices wherever they can get the best deal. If anything goes wrong technically with the devices themselves (tubing, circuitry, etc.), my patients know to contact the audiologist who sold them the device. But if anything else goes wrong with the sound therapy (six-week syndrome, etc.), they know to contact me - because the actual application of the sound therapy and the tweaks are all part of the counseling.

In your case, however, if something goes wrong while you are out of the country and before you have started your TRT counseling, it seems to me that you might really be stuck there! So you should have a clear understanding ahead of time regarding whom to call for what indication and more importantly regarding who will take responsibility for getting you back on track while you are away and before you have started your TRT counseling.

I hope this clarifies more than confuses.

Dr. Stephen Nagler