Burning Ear Pain That Comes and Goes...

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by East, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. East
      Pensive

East Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi Dr Nagler,

I've been having some symptoms after a loud concert at the end of October 2019. I didn't notice any symptoms until a day after the concert, when things started sounding a bit louder and overwhelming. This went away after a couple of weeks. About a week later I got some fullness in my right ear but that went away pretty quickly too.

Over the months my symptoms have varied a bit, went from a dull ache to a burning pain in my outer ear canal, to this past month a burning feeling on the side of my neck. It feels like the pain is on the skin of my neck, not in the muscles? I don't get any instant pain from noise but the burning sensations seem to be a delayed reaction that progress over the day of being at work. Oddly the burning pain in my ear has gone away this past week, and is just the pain on the side of my neck now. It is only in my right ear/side of neck.

I think a big part of the sensations is related to anxiety. (I struggle with bad anxiety) When I'm at home or somewhere quiet I don't notice the symptoms. When I wake up in the morning I feel no symptoms. When I'm having an engaged conversation at work I don't notice the symptoms.Same when I'm exercising. Maybe i just need to take my mind off it all somehow.

Could these symptoms be from clenching my neck muscles because I'm anticipating loud noises all the time? Does this sound like hyperacusis?? Sorry if I'm all over the place, its midnight here and been a long day.

Thanks a bunch.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hello @East -

Thank you for your inquiry.

I am away taking care of a family matter. I should be back in Atlanta by next week and will respond then. I apologize for not being able to get to it sooner.

Regards -

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.

3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hello again, @East -

To answer your last question first, hyperacusis is a condition wherein sounds that are well-tolerated by others sound uncomfortably loud to those so affected. Your description of pain pattern does not fit with that description.

If I were to hazard a guess without properly evaluating you, I would bet on something related to anxiety or tension. Another possibility would be shingles, but there you would expect to see vesicles (tiny blisters).

For sure what you describe is unrelated to tinnitus.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.