Call Center Summer Job — Will It Be Safe? Wearing Headphones Most of the Day

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa123, Jun 17, 2015.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa123
      Overworked

Lisa123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That's not what I mean, I just get fed up with people who are all doom and gloom. I believe your input is very good :) it's not at all negative, just to the point

2. Rachiejo

Rachiejo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/14
      @Lisa123

I had a headset in my previous job that I worked at for over a year - 5 days a week and it hasn't made any difference at all to my tinnitus so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure it's at a reasonable volume :)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    3. Xorthian
      Balanced

Xorthian Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Initial 2012. Massive spike 4/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisey Lifestyle. Increase from infection.
      Make sure only you use your headset to not get bacteria from someone else. Thats hygiene 101 but i wouldnt even think about it before my infection 2 months ago :/

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    4. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @Lisa123

I've been working in a call center for the past 13 years with no changes to my hearing at all. You can adjust the volume in your headset and mine doesn't go IN my ear.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    5. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @Lisa123, I can assure you self-pity has very little to do with **killer reactive T** which you obviously don't have. If you had, you wouldn't be able to party or study, let alone work in a call center.

You know, downplaying debilitating T is not only getting us nowhere but is definitely detrimental to raising awareness. Moreover, it produces false hope for new patients. If we want to be taken seriously, we need to keep it real. Facts over fantasies. There's no one size fit all.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm happy for you that you can do what you can do, but some of us just can't. And we tried over and over. But T is killing us beyond sanity. So, please understand.

One more thing, no audiologist in the world could give you accurate information about working in a call center with T. They only know how to pitch sell hearing aids; that's their job.

@linearb, and yet just cos there are people who have posted in this very forum on a *good day* that they believe that volume doesn't matter when **getting used to** T it does not mean it's applicable to everybody else. Most that have experienced both worlds tell otherwise.

You write a lot about brain plasticity here, but did you know that the brain is constantly changing?
      Just read a book, watch a video, learn a new language, memorize some lyrics and your brain is going to change. But does this mean it has any beneficial efficacy on T ? How can you or anybody tell?

Anyway, how many T patients have been cured with mindfulness? Which is BTW another neat coined term for basic psychology.
      If the answer is zero then mindfulness is just another fart in the wind.
      Gosh, everybody is trying to sell psychology as the **universal cure** no matter the cause and effect. Soon we are all going to the psychiatrist when having toothache.

• Agree Agree x 1