Came Back from 2 ENTs — TMJ

Discussion in 'Support' started by bellafjelle, Jan 12, 2018.

1. bellafjelle
      Angelic

bellafjelle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault which perforated my ear drum (Spike 2017 unknown)
      So today I had two appointments with two different ENT's. The first ENT is someone I don't have alot of confidence in, but he was the one with the quickest available appointment. But I was so lucky to get a cancellation appointment with a very skilled ENT also - So I chose to go with both appointments for a second opinion - just in case.

About 10 days ago I was having a cold and I was to aggressive with a nasal rinse and pushed fluid out in my ears. I also got a slight hearing loss and ear fullness in my left ear (which has the worst T). It spiked my T to a whole different nightmare-ish lvl where I had to talk to my girlfriend about checking out. It was that severe. To mask the T I would have to hear sound at more than 70-75 dB - obviously I didn't do that.

My GP confirmed the fluid on both ears last week and gave me prescription on Avamys nasal spray.

The T lowered a tiny bit, but still very loud compared to the usual T.

Both ENT's couldn't find no fluid in my ears today and neither could they see any problem with the ear pressure.

I still feel a terrible sensation of ear fullness and under pressure and my hearing seems muffled and the T is still on a close-to-severe level. Also the ear is crackling a lot and feels like it wants to pop all the time.

The first (not so good ent) checked my hearing in about 1 minute and I had several frequencies around -30 dB. He called that normal although he agreed with me on the fact that my hearing seemed a few dB worse than the last test I had with him in August 2017, which all was within the -15 to -20 db range.

The second (and good ENT) also checked my hearing but far, far more thoroughly, it took about 5-10 minutes. Here I also had a slight downward curve at the higher frequencies but WITHIN -15 to -20 db range on them all. I was really shocked to see such difference in an audiogram from two different ENT's taken at 1 hour apart from each other. To be honest, I don't have much faith in the first ENT. One of them has a wrongly calibrated hearing test equipment or instead it's because of the not so thoroughly testing from the first ENT.

Anyway, the second ENT said that he thinks the higher T is caused by the virus and because I have TMJ. He said that sometimes TMJ can mask itself and seem as if you have a hearing loss.

I also have a feeling of numbness on my TMJ side. Sound from outside is kind of muffled and sound within my mouth also seems muffled - like when i brush my teeth the sound is just not right. Feels like there is cotton on both sides of the eardrum.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms from your TMJ? Is this what one would call an inflammation from the TMJ?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It could be allergy related.
      Try a basic antihistamine for a week and you could see a big improvement.
      Love glynis