Can’t Sleep without Medication, Not Sure What to Do

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gl0w0ut, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      During the day my tinnitus is less bothersome than it is at night. When I try to go to bed my tinnitus is more noticeable even with a fan in the background.

I haven’t always been a great sleeper but ever since I got tinnitus it had been worse. I did some research and found that, compared to healthy controls, tinnitus patients have abnormal EEG (brain wave) patterns.

Basically we have reduced delta waves (associated with Stage 3 and 4 sleep or “deep sleep”) and increases in beta and alpha waves (short waves associated with arousal and wakefulness). I also read that tinnitus patients spend less time in slow wave sleep (delta waves) and more time in lighter sleep. I won’t illustrate the health consequences of that but I will day it isn’t exactly good. It basically can make you less restful.

Just to add to the article, it stated that when masking was used delta waves increased and alpha waves decreased, so masking may be a good sleep aid.

Anyways, I am stuck in a situation where if I don’t have a sleep aid (usually prescription grade) I cannot sleep. I don’t know what to do given I barely consume caffeine anymore and am on break from Adderall.

Gabapentin and clonazepam help but they can’t be taken forever. Antihistamines help but have awful side effects. Melatonin alone isn’t very helpful. In short, I don’t know what to do. Thoughts or advice?

2. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I've had a sleep disorder since high school. No matter how many times I fix my hours, I slowly creep back late into the night. Like right now I'm just about to finally go to sleep. I don't like meds and look to natural options and the one that stood out the most and I still take nightly is alcohol free passion flower drops. It worked wonders for me. For my sleep and then again for my anxiety.