Can 140 dB at 60 ft Away Cause Hearing Damage?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Seawater7, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Seawater7

Seawater7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can 140 decibels at 60 feet away cause hearing damage?

I was about this far away from a sports car with a huge muffler, as it revved and spun around the corner, my tinnitus has went up about twice as loud, and I am terrified that it caused some hearing damage.

Has anyone here heard of damage caused from just walking in town and this happening?
      Thank you.

2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      As an example, firecrackers going off are in the 150 decibel range. Safe distance as far as exposure to that is 15 to 20 meters away, according to hear-it.org. 60 feet is about 18 meters, so you should be fine. It may be your anxiety level went through the roof and so your tinnitus perception went up as well.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Yes it can very well be just your perception, yesterday I had an episode of fleeting tinnitus that left a residue that didn't completely go away for almost a hour, and I was so hyperfocused on it that my T sounded much louder. Even though objective loudness testing (I compare my T to certain unchanging environmental sounds) revealed that there's no actual change. Your brain can do this to you.