Can a Gadget That Exterminates Mice Damage Hearing?

Apocalypse77

Author
May 9, 2017
Tinnitus Since
6/8/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
We have these gadgets in our cottage that makes mice run away from our home. It uses 32-62 kHz frequency. (I uploaded a file on the bottom.)

Today I got worried that could this thing damage my hearing. I am not sleeping near and during a day I am like 5 meters away from it for about 2 hours.

I hope it won't. Do you guys know?
Take care

Attachments

• 500891664_1.jpg
    500891664_1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 49
Ultrasonic frequencies that you cannot hear CAN damage your hearing yes, but they need to be EXTREMELY loud. Im talking 120dB loud. So you're most likely safe.

*the cruel irony is of course, that the device which allegedly keeps mice away is doing so by mimicking the condition we here on this board have!

Well what should I do? Should I take them off? If i take thwm off my dad think I am a weirdo who is too worried about loud noises. I can't found any information on the web that could these things ruin my hearing. I am so stressed now. :(

Well what should I do? Should I take them off? If i take thwm off my dad think I am a weirdo who is too worried about loud noises. I can't found any information on the web that could these things ruin my hearing. I am so stressed now. :(
No, just don't turn the volume up to 120 dB.

I replied here and afterwards TinnitusTalk went down and now it's gone :meh:
Is anyone else experiencing the same?
---

Can the volume on these devices even be adjusted? And if it's fixed, at what level?

It says that it "will not harm humans", which is one of the spookiest things I've seen on any packaging. Imagine that line on a box of cornflakes... o_O

Still, it's probably harmless. If you're really stressed out about it, that could be enough of a justification to unplug them. If that would make you more relaxed, than that's a great gain. People without tinnitus don't always understand what we feel, but maybe you can negotiate using another kind of repellent.

I will unplug all those annoying gadgets. I really wish my T hasn't got worse.
Well only time can tell.
Thank you for all your answers guys, I owe you one!

Ultrasonic frequencies that you cannot hear CAN damage your hearing yes, but they need to be EXTREMELY loud. Im talking 120dB loud. So you're most likely safe.

*the cruel irony is of course, that the device which allegedly keeps mice away is doing so by mimicking the condition we here on this board have!
Source that it can damage hearing?

If I do some googling it seems ultrasonic noise can not damage hearing

Source that it can damage hearing?

If I do some googling it seems ultrasonic noise can not damage hearing

I have a source, but it's not a good one. Meaning, I think the science behind it is sound (no pun intended), but I'd like to get more resources before I share.

I agree that I can find statements online that suggest that ultrasonic waves don't damage hearing, but they reason that this is because we cannot hear it. I don't think this is a good explanation. We can't see UV rays either, but they can damage your eyesight.

Wise words indeed guys. I think the same that these ultrasounds damage hearing if you are exposed to it for a long time.
I really wish I wasn't exposed to it for too long. I was +60cm away from this thing for 15 seconds. It does not seem that long but my T is so loud that it is hard to concentrate on reading. :(

Wise words indeed guys. I think the same that these ultrasounds damage hearing if you are exposed to it for a long time.
I really wish I wasn't exposed to it for too long. I was +60cm away from this thing for 15 seconds. It does not seem that long but my T is so loud that it is hard to concentrate on reading. :(
How is it a wise word that someone mentions a phone damaged his ears (which is doubtful in my opinion) whereas we are discussing a device here which you can actually NOT hear (in contrast to the phone)?

There are some people that love to spread anxiety all over the forum, sometimes it's better not to follow their advice 100%

How is it a wise word that someone mentions a phone damaged his ears (which is doubtful in my opinion) whereas we are discussing a device here which you can actually NOT hear (in contrast to the phone)?
I didn't say it damaged my ears, I said it had an impact on my T. The incident happened at the end of May. My T has been a high pitched tone ever since. I am hoping the impact is not going to be permanent, but with each passing month it is harder to convince myself of that.

You are the one saying that if something can't damage one's ears, it can't have an impact on one's T. The experiences of many on this forum, including me, are not consistent with this idea.

I didn't say it damaged my ears, I said it had an impact on my T. The incident happened at the end of May. My T has been a high pitched tone ever since. I am hoping the impact is not going to be permanent, but with each passing month it is harder to convince myself of that.

You are the one saying that if something can't damage one's ears, it can't have an impact on one's T. The experiences of many on this forum, including me, are not consistent with this idea.
You got a special form of tinnitus if a spike for something so benign lasts this long. Did it spike immediately after your incident?

You got a special form of tinnitus if a spike for something so benign lasts this long. Did it spike immediately after your incident?
It was an old landline phone that I haven't used in a while. It had its volume set to the maximum. I got the full ear sensation right away. The next day T got much louder, and I went to the emergency to get prednisone. In a couple of days the volume got back to my baseline. Since the incident, I heard T as a hiss several times, but it is mostly a high pitched tone now... (Before the incident, it was mostly a hiss.)

If my T doesn't settle down. I could even sue this company right?
But on a serious note I am pretty sure my T will fade away in couple of days. I will update you guys then. Thank you for replying!

My gf's dad had to go to the emergency room at hospital last week due to stomach pains he was having, he is ok now but at the time they have him an ultrasound and i was standing a few metres away. I didn't think anything of it at the time but after readinf this i wondered if they are a hazard to ears?

My gf's dad had to go to the emergency room at hospital last week due to stomach pains he was having, he is ok now but at the time they have him an ultrasound and i was standing a few metres away. I didn't think anything of it at the time but after readinf this i wondered if they are a hazard to ears?
If they are, then I think there would be an obvious trend of ultrasound technicians having hearing loss. Given that ultrasounds have been used since around the 1950s, it doesn't look like it does.

And to add to that: consider the number of ultrasounds fetuses receive before birth. There's no trend of hearing loss based on high numbers of ultrasounds. Both of my kids were high risk and I had ultrasounds nearly every other week. No hearing problems at birth.

Now, NICU babies can have hearing loss obviously but it's usually more associated with ototoxic medications or other complications from being born early.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now