Can a Mouthguard Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Plat87, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Plat87

Plat87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020 maybe for quite a while
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss, TMJ?
      So here's my story, I recognized that I have tinnitus since October 2020, I say recognized because I suspect I've had it for quite a while but just didn't know what it was. I realized what it was, which then gave me a panic attack and constant anxiety after reading up about tinnitus even more all the isolation and quarantining def. made it worse.

I went to an audiologist and they said I hearing loss, but I went and did that test with literally zero sleep and in a full blown panic with the ringing blasting in my ear, I also don't fully trust that place because they seemed like a car salesman trying to sell some hearing aids gonna go for a second opinion to another more reputable place.

Anyway I went to the ENT, she told me that I have a mild TMD strain and that's what probably was causing the ringing in my ears. she told me to go see my dentist to get fitted for a mouth guard because I apparently clench my teeth at night. I got the mouthguard and I wore it last night for the first time but woke up with a high pitched beeping sound in my left ear, I was already getting habituated to my tinnitus but this "new" sound is really affecting me again.

My question is should I stop wearing the mouthguard or should I wait and see if this new sounds subsides? Anybody got experience with mouthguards for their tinnitus?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Tinnitus can come about from many different factors. If you feel that the mouthguard is bothering your tinnitus try to see how it feels when you do not wear it.

Also do understand, that our stress levels can possibly affect our tinnitus. Keep a journal and see what helps out and what does not.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I’ve worn a night guard for the entire 3 years that I’ve had tinnitus. It has had no negative effect on my situation. If anything, it has prevented me from grinding my teeth, which would cause dental problems. Good luck.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I just started wearing a mouthguard 5 days ago, and after day 2 I have had an substantial increase of tinnitus in my left ear (had a lower level from before), and a new similar continuous high pitch/seashell noise in my right ear have appeared. They increase even further if I strain/bend my nec hard forward or open my jaw, even changes pitch a bit if I force my jaw to one side...

I am really unsure about keeping on with the mouthguard as it has made my sleep a bit better, but the new sounds are also scary... Did your tinnitus go back after some time adapting to the mouthguard?