Can a Normal Tympanometry Exam Rule Out ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      When I went to the ENT a week ago, they did a tympanometry exam on my ears and the results were good. The doctor said to me that I should be able to fly without a problem, however, I just can't shake the feeling that it might not be the best idea.

I have a birthday overseas coming up, for which I would have to take a flight, however, I just can't shake the feeling that this test might be inconclusive somehow. Recently I was in the train, and I had a bit of trouble equalizing my ear pressure in the train. I managed, but not fully, which made me a bit worried about this.

Can any of you tell me if I should just stop worrying about having ETD and listen to the doctor, or confirm that Im right and that a simple tympanometry is no proper tool for showing ETD. I hear a crackle in my ears when I yawn and swallow and very rarely do I feel a gush of air coming through my ears when I yawn. The crackling is most likely a mix of my ear and jaw however, Im coming to believe that its mostly my jaw im hearing. I kind of want to listen to my instincts and not go on this flight, but at the same time this can't stop me from living my life, especially seeing how the doctor told me everything was fine.

I really have no reason to believe at this moment that I have ETD apart from crackling noises, an earlier inverted eardrum, that does not seem to be inverted anymore according to the ENT, and a sensation of clogged ears occasionally.

I also just pinched my noise while swallowing, which made my ears feel like they inverted, it took me 1/2 times of swallowing to open up my ears again, even though there's always this feeling as if they are not completely open.

Sorry this became such a long story just wanted to tell the most mundane details to make sure everyone can give me the proper verdict on my situation haha :p

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. sigridcornelia

sigridcornelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 17, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Combination of stress, anxiety, a cold and a flight.
      Did you fly eventually? Iā€™m dealing with the same problem at the moment.

• Like Like x 1