Can a Sound You Don't Hear Anymore Hurt Your Other Good Hair Cells?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gosia, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      IMO, you will start getting better once you stop focusing so much on it. Did this new thing appear because of the hearing test or the celll phone or.... because you are spending so much time obsessing about it and listening for it?

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      To the best of my knowledge, hair cells (like brain cells) have no pain fibers. But I am not 100% certain in that regard.

3. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Of course a new T can appear if you listen to your ears too much! T can be stimulated by stress. You must relax, because it seems that you will have a panic attack...

In fact i read somewhere that after being in loud environments ( and i mean loud like a big party or something) an" exhausted " hearing cell need 13 h to return to normal.
      I'm not sure an hearing cell can have big sequelae.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Yea, I listen for T quite a lot..but yesterday evening I wasn't. And I just noticed sth 'new' . My t is in the head not really in the ears. These tiny screeching bells seem to be in the ear. The right one, where the phone rang...30 hours before. If I follow the safety recommendations nothing should have happened, right? It was just a moment of 90db next to my ear. It was impossible to ignore them at night. What makes a sound like this? Hair cells dancing weirdly? God, I just want it to pass..

5. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      There is a really good chance it will. My personal opinion is that the best things you can do to influence events toward that result are as below.

- Eat healthily. Maybe take NAC, magnesium, multivits, etc, if you 'do' supplements. If it helps how you feel then drink a small amount of alcohol occasionally, but not much.
      - Do things to try to distract yourself as best you can... things that normally would tend to increase your feeling of wellbeing. I understand you are not totally going to feel that at the moment, but point yourself in the right direction and see how far you can go. Spending time outdoors might be good, and exercise might be of some benefit. The tension you are feeling in your body possibly makes these things feel irrelevant or even impossible to do properly. If so just do them a little. You probably need your 'comfort zone' a lot at the moment, but being in it all the time perhaps allows your mind to obsess more than is good for you. Reading might also take your thoughts away from tinnitus to some extent. Even if your awareness of the sounds only drifts for a minute or two at a time, this is probably helpful in allowing your stress to dissipate a little.

My rationale for recommending these things is that your body - including your ears - will repair itself best and cope best with everyday bumps-in-the-road with good nutrition and in the absence of stress. Those are therefore practical things to work towards. If my suggestions for how to work towards them are not what works for you then substitute what might, but try not to give in to your fear. Those sounds you are worried might have hurt your ears probably didn't, and if the very very small chance they did were true then the best thing to do is not panic, and look after yourself well to facilitate effective repair.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      P.S. My post above was not intended to minimise what you said about new sounds emerging. But stress always provokes my t to be worse, and that might be what is happening to you at the moment. So on the basis that you cannot change the past, I wanted to suggest working on how you might be able to influence the future.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Thank you @dboy . I popped 2 NAC yesterday and today..and some other suplements. I know myself and I probably won't do much until I notice at least a slight improvment. Unfortunately i don't even have a good reason to get out of bed so the more it's difficult to set my thinking on positive..Even though life has been more less hellish these last 3 months, I raised a few times encouraged by a light improvement like the fact that I could sleep again. Also, if changes or spikes came for no reason I ignored them cause I knew I couldn't have possibly influenced or damaged anything and it was just my brain messing with me.brain can be inluenced. Some deep breaths and it was usually better..but now I'm afraid it's in the ear itself and not knowing whether it will pass or not is overwhelming..Somebody wrote well here that I don't accept the situation. No, I don't...and as soon asI'm starting to sth happens that worsens the situation and I'm back to the misety point. But these screeching bells only started yesterday evening, right? So they will still go..From the beginning of T I was mostly very afraid of it getting worse..

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I relate to what you say there about that doubt... is it real damage or the brain playing tricks. I had quite a bit of dental work done a few days ago - removing mercury fillings. I've got a spike now and so of course I start worrying that the drill damaged my hearing, or the amount of mercury vapour released has caused further hearing loss (it is ototoxic). There is a sensation in my right ear too, a bit like when I did have recent hearing damage. So I guess to some degree my posts to you were also me talking to myself.

And like you I also struggle to 'accept' tinnitus. I've read people talk about grieving periods... for the loss of silence. I think that is probably a useful concept, although I think grieving happens in stages and it isn't always the case that you come out the other end the same person who went in. Good luck anyway, with what you are going through at the moment. I wish there was more I could say that might help, but all I've really got is that I know a little of what you describe and how hard it can be.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Oh , so you're going through the same thing but much more bravely..the difference must be in the fac t that I'm a newbie compared to you. Also,It surely depends on the personality, I will admit that. T made me very weak..and chickened but as I said, Tha's because each time I raise shit happens and pulls me down. After a few trials like this one becomes paranoid. I'm fed up with leaving no matter all the difficulties. I wish I could finally live just because it's pleasant. You surely helped me a lot, by writing and by being there. I will surely monitor how you're doing. I still have so many fears in front of me..first dental work, first flight, first whatever louder. For now the new sound seems to be hardly audible in bedroom with music when i put this ear against the pillow, so I hope it's an improvement, but I still hear it anywhere else. It' s not loud, but very annoyi g and I hear it outside too..and I was at the point where T was not hearable outside. Gosh, I only go ghrough days waiting for the night to come cause a night is a chance for an improvement. .Enjoy being with your kid. I wish I had one now..sb to remind me I have a really good reason to live.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I don't think I'm coming through it more bravely. I've just been through it more often, and got more used to the experience. It still gets to me, but of many spikes I've had since my T got bad, they all went down eventually. I've had one where it got lots louder for 3-4 weeks, and also ones where the balance of sound changed, so for example the high pitched tones would go up in volume and seem intolerable for a while. But eventually things seem to settle, as I'm sure they will for you. I would say don't wish for a kid too soon though! Being around them is non-stop noise and hard work. You are definitely better off letting Mr. T calm down a bit and become less temperamental before you introduce him to one of those little guys or gals. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      You confort me saying all spikes calmed down finally..For a kid, well..I'm 31, tempus fugit ! Now with T I'm definitely not ready for this..And I wonder if I will ever be, but that's another topic. The truth is when I'm in town most of the times I run away from kids, so does my bf, but we still claim we want them one day (n)
      I remember having red a story in French I believe..of a woman who got terrible T at the age of 16 at a Rio carnival. Globally the whole life of misery, but somehow she became a mother of 4. How did she do that..?:dunno:
      You got it right about the grieving..that's definitely what it is. Just that since I got it 3 months ago I already had some grieving done ..and I believe I was even quite habituated for a month. But then sth went wrong..got better, I guess..and now my second break down. I don't know what I would do without this forum. At least we're going thru this in the times of the internet.

12. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I always thought I wanted kids 'one day' but when my wife at last insisted that it had to happen immediately in order to be possible at all I was in a state of borderline panic for months! It really wasn't the right time of life for me, although maybe it never would have been. Maybe it never will be for you if the urgency never hits you... that would certainly make life easier and give you more freedom.

I'll say this... I had mild t when my boy was born (it started about three years before), and I ended up doing loads of childcare. Which meant hours of walking up and down cuddling trying to comfort him or get him to sleep while he wailed away. He was one of those kids that got colic quite bad, and they always pick up illnesses that make them uncomfortable. I was pretty stupid about hearing protection back then... sometimes I kept some cotton wool in my pocket to stuff in my ears when it got bad, but mostly I just weathered the storm. I never noticed my t spiking 'cos of that (although I admit I did worry sometimes). What I'm trying to say is that you may well be fine if you give your t a year or two. You are still in the acute phase really, when the initial damage is probably not physically fully stabilised. I think things will probably settle some and change a bit for the better. As regards kids, you may have to learn to stick your earplugs in when the crying starts, which might mean overriding the guilt feeling if you don't pick 'em up instantly. But you could still do a great job of parenting and most likely come out without any further hearing damage. :)

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      T or not T, I doubt I will manage to become a mother in this decade, for many other reasons..If your own child can deafen you, that means we're definitely wrongly constructed ( first big mistake of the 'creator' - hair cells don't reconstruct at mammals only, if I'm correct. Even frogs' ones do).
      I wanted to say today I HAVE A VERY GOOD DAY, given the circumstances. My NEW INTRUSIVE SOUND IS GONE! :rockingbanana:Completely, it seems. And globally T was very silent this morning and later too, only now I hear this 'very loud silence', as I call it, all over my head. I feel like a resurected person. Of course, not cured , but still..there's progress. And mostly no more 'insect in the ear' sound. So now I can relax and stop worrying..that's how I work..
      Next stress will be in 16 days ( first flight with T)...but there are so many threads about it , I guess I should be fine..
      Will have earplugs, earmuffs ( coming to me from Eng right now ) , mouth open while descending, yawning, drinking, chewing. Globally, looking like a freak, but who cares :) It will be 4 months after the onset..
      What about your spike, @dboy ? Any better ? Do you sleep well ? I believe it's the most important..

• Winner Winner x 1
    14. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Hey, that's awesome! I'm really happy for you. I know that feeling of relief, and although I'm not getting it myself yet I'm sure it will come. I don't have a big problem with sleeping nowadays - even a spike doesn't usually keep me awake thankfully. So yes, that helps with the stress thing.

Anyway, I'm just really pleased that things are feeling more positive for you. Thanks for taking the trouble to report back! :)

15. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Don't worry dboy you'll find silence one day, we all will.

• Like Like x 1
    16. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Hey, thanks! There are some very promising developments at the moment and I'm watching keenly to see how you get on now you're off the magic tablets. Fingers crossed for you!

17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Magic tablets haha. Well, I'm ok...It does seem to get louder sometimes when I wake up, but that lowers within half an hour. It's odd really.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Hihi, thanks for 'the winner' badge :) Yep, I won sth. I got over another break down. Hopefully the last one . ( I need to believe that naively ) . Of course I had to report back, I owe you this little..Maybe I will also write what I did :
      To sum up : a suspection of a small , but still acoustic shock for weakened ears .. freaking out and noticing a new, intrusive sound in the right ear . The sound lasted almost two days. The first night it won. Couldn't sleep with a bee in the ear. Today I woked up and there was no track of it whatsoever. Also, the rest of T seemed calmer.
      What I did :
      - stayed at home for almost 3 days to avoid any other loud encounters
      - popped NAC 2 x per day (1,2g)
      -popped TONE by New Nordic even if I don't believe it works a lot..but I wanted sth to boost blood circulation in brain. And I like TONE cause it's natural, contrary to Notropyl..
      - I swallow some garlic pills as well, chela Magnesium 300mg per day
      I was down, very down. Am not an authority in this field. Now I'm more optimistic about the future..

• Like Like x 1
    19. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      It is the big question at the moment... It will be a great cause of optimism for us all if your improvement persists. I reckon that would signify permanent improvement might be possible with Autifony if they upped the dose or the time period. So yeah, you're the main man at the moment. ;)

20. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Hm, they work on different channels...Autifony's work on the KV3.1 chanels, trobalt works on the KV7 channels. So I say take them both lol. That's my solution.

• Like Like x 1
    21. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      I think you found a solution that worked out for you, so that is worth remembering and hanging on to. I think you did some smart things. :)

22. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Plus a bit of ketamine (AM101) for good measure.

23. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Nah...Don't like holes in my ear lol

24. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Who mentioned holes in your ear? ;)

25. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Lol, AM-101...No holes for me please.

26. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      Sure, I was just joshing... ;)

27. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Oh, you've been reading that thread eh? Haha.

• Like Like x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Heeeey, that's my thread about dear hair cells ! :woot:

29. dboy