Can Amoxicillin Cause or Exacerbate Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mock turtle, Jul 7, 2012.

1. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      well it had to happen

my doc prescribed an antibiotic, which i need to with an infected tooth before oral surgery

but to take it ...or not to take it... that was the question

im so fearful everytime i take anything anymore... been hurt so many times by so many different drugs...otc and prescription..... tylenol with codeine, ibuprofen, several different kinds of antibiotics and a myriad of other drugs have given me problems

some respectable sources indicate that there are hundreds and hundreds of drugs that are commonly prescribed and known to be ototoxic to some portion of the population

very scary stuff

so after two days of research looking at everything i could find on the web...i took the leap...
      since it appeared that amoxicillin was not notorious for causing tinnitus.

so im on day 3 of my prescription...500mg 4 times a day.... a hefty dose

and so far my tinnitus appears unchanged...an thats good news

does anyone out there have experience with amoxicillin??? .... good or bad ? id be interested to know
      thanks
      mt

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      You should be fine. Amoxicillin is one of the few non-ototoxic antibiotics (and preferred for those with T) so it should not cause any issues especially damage to inner ear which some others antibiotics can.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      erik
      good to hear that
      yep so far so good
      i hear that the penicillin related drugs are relatively safe from ototoxicity

best to ya
      mt

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      mt -
      Good to hear you're not having a bad reaction.

I know exactly what you mean. I am feaful of taking ototoxic drugs in the future. There are a few antibiotics that are notorious for doing ear damage.

I got "T" from either metoprolol, aspirin or a blood thinner the nurses were injecting into my stomach. If I have atrial fibrilation again someday, I need an alternative beta blocker to metoprolol.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Karl

yes beta blockers are very problematic

i believe that it was a combination of taking propranolol (a beta blocker) and moderate noise exposure was how i first got hit with big hearing loss and tinnitus many years ago

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Karl --- I believe the metropolol may have been the culprit for you.

My tinnitus was stirred up after taking Lisinopril (an ACE inhibitor), and then I was put on Toprol XL (metropolol), and it got even worse! I'm not taking any of those drugs today (using natural blood pressure remedies, which are working), and the tinnitus remains, after 2 years.

I, too, am very fearful of ototoxic drugs, and now check everything out before I take it.

Hope there is another beta blocker out there that does not cause ear problems. I know that there are combination drugs these days that doctors are prescribing instead of beta blockers. In the UK, I understand they don't routinely prescribe beta blockers any more.

7. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Does anyone know how long T can take to emerge after taking the ototoxic drug? I had two 7 day prescriptions for doxycycline in Dec 2011 & January 2012 and have never thought of this as a cause. My T began on 6th April 2012.

8. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Click, it is near impossible to know what that cause may be. Mine also started in April and I was on Doxy in Jan along with PPI and Acid reflux med at the same time. I also suspect these might be the cause but I cannot know for certain.

9. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      mock turtle - could you give us an update on your course of amoxycillin please? did it make the T worse after a while or was it ok for you? thanks.

• Winner Winner x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      click

i took the full course of amoxicillin and all went well...i experienced no increase in my tinnitus!

erik...click...yes i have experienced worsening tinnitus from doxy

11. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I am asking this because, my doctor prescribed Amoxicillin for my viral infection in my throat, Promethazine for cough and Sulfacetamide Ophthalmic ( Eye Drops) for my PINK eye.

Ive been using them for 5 days, unfortunately i got sick due to school and weather change. Have any of you ever used these drugs if so, did they cause more damage?

Thanks,

Waldo.

12. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I believe that amoxicillin is one of the few antibiotics that doesn't affect tinnitus Waldo. I haven't had them since developing T but it's the one that I would ask for if I do get ill.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. Aisling

Aisling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/9/12
      I recently had a uti and was prescribed amoxicillin and it never affected the tinnitus.

14. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I just started Amoxicillin 500 mg 3x/day for sore throat and my T seemed higher and more high pitched, I was really hoping Amox would be good for my T, i will try taking it one more day if it still spikes my T I'll just stop taking it.

15. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have taken amoxicillin several times over the years after I got tinnitus. I never had any issues with it (then again I wasn't intently listening for chages). Amoxycillin is a fairly "weak" antibiotic in comparison to several others, like vancomyacin. If I remember correctly it's the intravenous antibiotics that are used to treat different types of more severe infections that you need to worry about. Generally, for a sore throat, I think they prescribe them only for a short while. I would think that as long as you avoid other factors that may worsen your tinnitus (loud noise, painkillers, etc.) while you take them you should be fine.

16. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Usually, throat issues are caused by viruses and in that case, no antibiotic will make a difference. However, if it was tested and bacterial then yes, antibiotics will help. Amoxicillin should not make your T worse or if it does it should only be temporary. You should take the full course of your antibiotics if you already started them especially if you have a bacterial infection because you could actually make things worse by either under treating your condition by not killing off enough of the infection and it could get worse. Read this for more info http://www.ivillage.com/it-really-important-finish-antibiotics/6-n-146421

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Paint girl
      Artistic

Paint girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car accident/ head injury.
      I read somewhere that certain antibiotics can cause yout tinnitus to become worse but haven't had to take any so haven't experienced that.

18. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I've just finished taking 10 days' worth of Clindamycin (for dental surgery), and it did not have any effect on my tinnitus. It's a good idea to look online and check for ototoxicity when you are prescribed an antibiotic. Some antibiotics are worse than others!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Aminoglycosides like gentamicin, amikacin, neomycin, tobramycin and streptomycin have been linked to vestibular (balance) and/or hearing loss. Other ototoxic drugs include loop diuretics like furosemide and ethacrynic acid, cisplatin, carboplatin, aspirin and other salicylates, quinine.

20. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Thanks for the replies everyone, but it seems I am one of the unlucky few whose T spikes with Amoxicillin, it's been 4 days and I don't think I can get through to 10 days, my T is ringing off the hook, I will probably stop today. I hope it goes back to my normal pitch in both ears. My problem now is what if I get another infection? I'll try probably Z-Pak or Levaquin which is only for 5-7 day courses...even though they are stronger.

I always thought my T was just noise induced but it could also be partially caused by ototoxicity to medications, that's why I cant tolerate even MSG. Sorry for venting, I just can't believe that my T can't even tolerate Amoxicillin.:(

21. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Also should I take the amoxicillin I was prescribed for the an infection I have in my ear (not tinnitus related) ?

22. teresa

teresa Guest

hi i started amoxicillian today and my t is higher.its for a sinus infection.

23. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      I took Amoxicillan twice a days for a week and it has zero effect on my tinnitus.

I even told the doctor at the ER to not give me anything ototoxic and he told me those ototoxic ones are rarely if ever prescribed.

24. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi everyone ?

I got tinnitus two months ago due a est infection . It has changed my life . I had to take a break at work and starting to feel better now.

I would like an answer from someone once I am new here.

I sinus and my doc prescribed amoxicillin . Is it possible to make my T worse . Also today is my first day of tegretol . I know that some people got ringing in ther ears after taking tegretol but as I read some got better. I'm giving it a try .

Sorry for my English . I from brazil.

Thank you for your support.

25. Mommaof2

Mommaof2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/1998
      Hi- I have been on a,oxocillin for a week now and so far no change in my T. I have also been on the z-pack and no change with my T either.
      Feel better!

26. Spider4re

Spider4re Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have been on amoxicillin for 3days and my right ear spiked. Calling the dr today to see if I should stop treatment for my sinus infection. Worst it has been in 30+ years of dealing with T

27. How can it cause spikes if it's not ototoxic? (or is it??)

I am supposed to start amox today, and for some reason my t spiked at 1am while lying in bed. I took 2 doses of advil yesterday and one was at 11:30pm.

28. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Since the onset I have been two times on amoxicillin and it didn't affect my T

29. kenny
      English

kenny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I have Just Finnished a coarse of amoxicillin for a chest infection, my tinnitus did seem louder, but I put that down to feeling a bit down in the dumps and stressed out

30. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Yes!