Can an MRI Find ETD? Balloon Dilation?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hotaru, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      How exactly can I determine that I have it? And has anyone tried balloon dilation?

2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Patient history and tympanometry which is frequently done as part of a hearing test.
      from http://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/unilat/etd.htm

You could see about a myringotomy with or without tubes. That will tell you if pain/pressure is related to ETD.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      I think I've gotten a tympanometry, but I guess they didn't find anything. I always end up going to the doctor when my symptoms aren't acting up.

4. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      mainly on physical findings . very simmple ; you feel sometimes your ears clogged and making valsalva make it dissapear but then returns ? this , during the last few days or weeks . if yes . then probably youve got it . try steroids . no need for image tests .

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      Already tried steroids, didn't help. Tried valsalva, steaming, tea, all that stuff, and nothing helped. Am-101 made it worse. I am looking for a permanent solution.

6. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      The nuerotologist I seen said to try a tube in your ear before a balloon procedure. You have to be put under to have the balloon procedure done. I used Sudafed (behind the counter) to open mine up along with a EarPopper last time.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      I can't keep water out of my ears so tubes aren't really a good idea for me. Even with earplugs. I will gladly go under for a procedure. I'm just tired of these short-term maybe it' ll go away for now solutions. I did that with tmj and now it's back. The retainer is not helping anymore. When I was a kid, I should have gotten jaw- alignment surgery.

8. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      make sure you used potent ones , dexametasona or betametasona . Sometimes when given prednisone its not enough power . may I ask you which steroid you use ?

9. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      Are you doing the balloon? I know two people who had their eustachian tubes drained from the throat. And they are happy.

• Agree Agree x 1