Can Anyone Offer Advice?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Becky S, Aug 26, 2016.

?

Have you ever considered suicide because of your tinnitus?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Becky S

Becky S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi. If you are reading this, then I need help. I have had tinnitus for over a year that started from an ear infection and never went away. I'm a 14 year old girl who doesn't know what to do anymore. I've gone to many doctors for my tinnitus with the hope of hearing the words "This will give you relief". However, after a MRI, countless hearing test and appointments, and an appointment with a new doctor in a few days I'm unsure of what to do.

In the past (before my tinnitus), I've struggled with my mental health. Thanks to my tinnitus I am miserable. Part of me wants to give up and just kill myself in the hopes that I might possibly find relief, but I am truly a coward. For once I guess that is a reason to celebrate.

I refuse to talk to a therapist due to the fact that I had a bad experience with one before. I want to talk to my parents, but every time I try I can't. I physically cannot bring myself to talk to them. I have a few close friends who are aware, but I feel that I am burdening them with my problem.

The idea of killing myself is becoming an idea that almost seems inviting, but I am hesitant because I am aware of the pain it would cause to those who know me. I don't know what to do at this point... Any advice would be helpful.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. OPlax
      Worried

OPlax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/28/98
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born
      I have Middle Ear Myoclonus (spasm in middle ear) which ultimately ruins my life, and I haven't found a cure or surgeon yet. I'm also a long time tinnitus sufferer. I promise you, it gets betters I'm a 17 year old male and had this since I was born. The first thing is how loud is the buzzing? Are there any noises that can mask or hide the buzzing? If there are noises, I would suggest getting a fan in your room and a white noise player on your phone and carry around ear phones.

I know you said you can't, but you should really try telling your parents. It will make you feel better and help them understand why our going through. There are some medicines and minerals that you can try though.

Lipo Flavonoid is supposed to be a medicine that is over the counter and supposed to stop tinnitus, also I would suggest taking Magnesuim supplements .

Tinnitus to most people doesn't sound bad and is looked down upon, but I know for a fact there are a few audiologist out there learning and discovering a cure for tinnitus :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Becky S

Becky S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      For the noise, I have a high pitch ring. It's loud enough that having a fan on in my room while i sleep doesn't help, but I don't hear it as much when I am talking to others.

As for the medications, at the moment I am most concerned about finding something that can (for lack of better word) "clear" the idea is suicide from my mind before with try to tackle the tinnitus.

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      A fan doesn't seem to do much for me either. Is that because it is low frequency i wonder? I play this river and crickets track and at low volume it covers the T noise up perfectly.

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Becky S ,
      Have a chat with your doctor on how you are feeling and I would let your parents know what you are going through and show them your posts on here and get support together.

Tinnitus and the emotions it brings can be really hard going and talking therapy can really help to off load the feelings and a Tinnitus support group can really help you .

The feeling of suicide is just your mind and you viewing your future as it is now with how you are coping and feeling but it will get easier as time goes by.
      We can all support you on here and with your doctor and parents and close friends on board you will be able move forwards together through this tough time .
      I'm not sure where you are from but see if there is a support group near by you could go to with your parents or one for your age range.
      The BTA have a advice line too.
      Keep posting for support duck round the clock as needed....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    6. lindatall2

lindatall2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      long time but really bad past month
      First, I agree with Becky....talk to your doctor, therapist about your suicidal thoughts. I had those too, so I can totally empathize. That being said, I've had hissing, ticking in my left year for about as long as I can remember. Some days it's worse than others. But I decided it was not going to interfere with my life. I treat it as background noise to my normal days....and it is a decision. You WILL gradually start habituating to it, I promise! You can't fight it, you can't resist it...that just all makes it worse. Acceptance is key here and really wanting to live a normal life! If it happened to me, it can happen for you!

7. Filip

Filip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud earbuds music/ear infection
      You gotta look at the bright side of things. Some folks can't even afford to go to the doctor. Some have to work at your age and to never have the same opportunity like you had. Why throw away your life when millions of folks suffer from cancer, crippled, etc. Honestly I been neglected by a bunch of people and it made me become a shitty person. People ask me all the time if I do any drugs or why I'm always sad.. honestly I always think about folks who can't have kids or being bound to wheelchairs. Just imagine the life of being armless or legless that would suck. Sure, my life not best but everyone has bad days.

• Agree Agree x 1