Can Benzo-Induced Tinnitus Be Cured by Starting to Take the Benzo Again?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Beste, Mar 5, 2016.

?

Can benzo withdrawal induced tinnitus be cured by starting to take the benzo again?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
tinnitus forum
    1. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Hello all
      I'm searcing for the real cause of my T. And I just wonder what you guys think of benzo withdrawal induced T healing with using benzo again for a lifetime? Is there anyone within us got completely got rid of T causing from benzos? Or do you know anyone else? My psychiatrist claims that if mine is causing from Benzos I can be cured by starting to take it all over again. Lets help confused newbies just like me?

(Sorry for my poor English, I'm just regular Turkish girl)

2. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      Psychiatrists should stop filling people up with medicine in the first place. When in a hundred years time, our descendants will evaluate the current era of medicine, I feel relatively confident in saying that the field of psychiatry (and usage of medication), will go down as one of the most shameful disciplines of medicine. Ever.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I partly agree with you. Also if I had known the medicine he gave to me would cause this I'd have never ever started to use it. It was the mistake of a lifetime. But I just wonder, what if I'm an addict and all this T thing causes from this? Is there any cure for me then?

4. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      You should know if you're an addict.
      Do you have any of the typical benzo withdrawal symptoms? Use this page as a rough guide.
      Did you quit the drugs cold turkey (hehe)? Or did you follow some tapering schedule?
      There is no way anyone (including your doctors) could diagnose whether your tinnitus is benzo related.
      And if it is, don't expect it to go anywhere soon. You might get better, but you have it be (extremely) patient.

5. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      in my experience I never see T induced by withdrawal of benzo , maybe stress related but benzo withdrawal perse , personally I have never seen it . Only one might answer this is Psyquiatrist with lot of experiencie , but any way benzo wont cure T like curing the root of it . If it works its because you feel more relaxed , but at long term if cut down , even tapering off , tinnitus can came back . If its this , best long term treatment is change style of life , including some kind of sports that makes you very relaxed . bezos are good but one must try to use them short term , like to push you out of the deep , then change style of life . short tem use means , like 3 weeks , perhaps one month and taper down . some times 15 days when using very accute . Try not to worry too much , if T is so bad , can use benzo . I know some patients who use benzo years , but I do not recomend it (im a doctor also but having T , so at the side of patients now)

6. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Lots of pages and people from benzo forums claim that T can be caused from benzo withdrawal. My T has changed form from left ear ringing to buzzing in the head. That's why I think mine also cause from the withdrawal.

7. tinnitube
      Supportive

tinnitube Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2105
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      damn virus
      ok I understand . good to know . if thats the case then benzo should work . To be honest first time I hear , but you know in medicine theres a lot of thing we do not know right now and lots of things patients says are truth but you dont find them in books . :) let me know how its going if you take ravo again please :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/ETD since 11/2015
      Google benzo withdrawal and tinnitus. Seems like there's lots of info about it.

9. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I've seen many comments from people on their cold turkey but I'm not sure if I'm addict or not but most symptoms are identical to me. If benzo is the solution to take me my former life, I'll discuss this with my doc. Thank you for your suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. How long were you taking them? How high of dose? How fast did you stop?

11. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I took it for 8 months on 1mg dose and cut it at once a night. Mistake of a lifetime... Do you think it cause a permanent damage? My tinnitus started on 6th week of benzo free.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      It's a crap shoot, the only way to find out is to reinstate -- with all the risks that come with that -- and see what happens.

Benzos still reduce my T, but not worth it to me.

13. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      How long have you been suffering from T? Do you think yours is benzo induced?

14. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple: anxiety, childhood ear infections, loud music
      I got tinnitus a couple of months after I stopped taking Effexor (an anti-depressant which I was taking for anxiety).

I had quite bad withdrawal symptoms and unfortunately, after I stopped taking the Effexor, the anxiety came back in a big way (manifesting in health anxiety). Then I got tinnitus.

I think that the body's physiological response to withdrawal can be a burden on the central nervous system, which can trigger tinnitus. Your body is in a state of "red alert" (after having been in a chemical state of "calm"). Many people report tinnitus being triggered through trauma (emotional or acoustic), which is consistent with the theory that tinnitus symptoms are connected to the body's central nervous system. When the central nervous system is aroused, it becomes hypersensitive to the internal noises created by the brain.

My tinnitus started in around November 2015 and it has since quietened down a lot, to the point where (apart from a few spikes every few days) I can sit in silence a fair amount of the time.

Beating yourself up about what caused tinnitus/what you could have done differently and feeling regretful - these two things are the WORST thing for tinnitus - almost guaranteed to turn up the volume. Staying positive, eating healthy, exercising, seeking support, doing calming things - that's what quietens the noise and helps stop tinnitus from bothering us as much.

Hugs.

• Like Like x 2
    15. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      I've had it for 15+ years, suffering is kind of an extreme word that only describes the past 5 years, and only on and off.

Benzos didn't do anything good for me in the long term, but it would be a stretch to say they had much to do with my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I'm sorry you are dealing with T too. As a withdrawal sufferer, do you think it will completely go by time?

17. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My tinnitus is now pretty much completely gone. I get occasional tinnitus spikes when I'm stressed, tired and eat certain foods...actually, loud noises set it off again as well... however, the majority of the time, I can sit in a quiet room and not hear any tinnitus at all. I bought Julian Cowan Hill's books and watched all of his videos. Followed his advice religiously. I would really recommend them, especially for new sufferers who need to read something hopeful!

• Like Like x 1
    18. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Are you habituated or you T is really pretty much gone?

19. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      I thought your Dr. ruled that out? Do you have days when the noise is gone or very low, that it doesn't bother you? You could go to the Dr.'s corner or PM Dr. Ancill concerning the possible benzo withdrawal caused tinnitus. I take benzos and have no idea if they can cause T or are related.

20. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Yes he really ruled it out but I've talked so many people cut benzos and they say it can still be the benzo. Mine changes volume last two days. I sometimes hear 3 different sounds and electric buzzing in my head. My anxiety is at peak and I have bad headaches. I do not know what to do.

21. Which benzo in particular? If you were taking it for 8 months at 1 mg, how long did it take you to stop taking it?

While anything is possible with tinnitus, in my experience, withdrawal symptoms occurred while tapering not 6 weeks after.

22. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      It was clonazepam, Rivotr*l. It took me only one night to cut it out. But my anxiety turned back as soon as I quited. I was fine before that and T occured when I'm on my week 6.

23. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Could be cervical muscles or nerves related possibly too. I've never heard of benzo caused tinnitus before coming to this forum. Gabapentin + Klonopin have been used for tinnitus relief in some cases.

• Like Like x 1
    24. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      It's a very, very common side effect of benzo withdrawal, and a slightly less common side effect of benzo use.

• Like Like x 1
    25. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Okay, but I've never heard a primary care Dr. or psychiatrist mention it before. I take Zolpidem and benzos, so possibly. I will ask a psychiatrist's nurse just out of curiosity.

26. Purple Parrot
      Bookworm

Purple Parrot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015 - 3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, it's pretty much gone. Nowadays I get intermittent tinnitus when tired, stressed, angry or when I eat foods I am intolerant to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I can't talk about Benzos, so apologies if you consider my response pointless, by my tinnitus was caused by Levothyroxine and was pretty bad when taking it, but became even worse when coming off it - I was practically deaf, the tinnitus was so loud.

However, over time, it has settled down to a state that is now better than before I stopped taking it. I stopped taking it on 8th June 2015. It hasn't gone completely and I'm not sure if it will, but it is a lot better today than it was 9 months ago - probably around a quarter of what it was.

I think the longer you are on something that affects your hearing, the longer it will take for things to stabilise when you stop.

28. TTwithT

TTwithT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo Withdrawal
      Withdrawing from Benzo's for a year. Tinnitus started in November. Scared me into anxiety but I soldier on with the tapering. I truly believe that the T is from benzo withdrawal as there is no hearing loss from my last hearing test. In fact just as withdrawal symptoms wax and wane so does the T. It will get better I know it. There are some days I hardly notice it. I'm sure I have T to some extent but my nervous system is in such hyper drive that is making the T feel much worse than it is.

We are all on here because we still have the T. I hardly see people come back on these forums months or years later to report on a problem they no longer have. I can't say that I would either if my T went down so far that I could hardly notice it. It takes a real saint to give us the hope we need that this will pass. We are reading this because we still suffer. If we weren't suffering anymore why would we come back to this forum. I am very hopeful that this screaming in my head will subside. It could be much worse I could have lost a limb or the ability to talk. So many suffer far worse. If T is my life sentence I must accept that. It will get better. I have hope. Please have hope too

29. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      I think mine also may cause from benzo withdrawal since I didn't taper but cut it at once. Well, lets hope these drugs did not give a permanent damage to our GABAs.

30. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Quick question guys,I was going through a depressed state during November after the passing of my father,I was put on Valium 4mg a day or half if needs be.I took these for a month and then stopped.My anxiety returned so I kept going with the dose up until January when I decided to quit.My taper off was a bit rushed so I'm wondering if I should go back to my doctor and talk about a taper off plan?I haven't taken any in over 2 months but I'm scared it's the cause of my recently worsened T?