Can Body Deconditioning Cause or Worsen Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 1, 2021.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have body deconditioning due to dysautonomia and lack of exercise over the years, along with more bed rest due to periods of depression from tinnitus or fatigue from a high heart rate. I have been exercising trying to get my body in better shape and have made improvements but it's harder due to my dysautonomia. I have had a few days the past several months where my tinnitus was fairly low.

I wonder though if the stress on my body from exercise is preventing my tinnitus from going lower on many days. However, I wonder if my tinnitus would improve if I got more in shape, and there would be less stress on body from exercise and other things because my muscles and heart are stronger and can handle it and recover faster.

Any inspirational stories about people getting their body in shape over a period of time and later on their tinnitus went down?

2. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      I can't talk about tinnitus improvement but I did go through deconditioning, dysautonomia (POTS and difficulty regulating body temperature) and many other crippling symptoms due to PVFS that now have mostly resolved (except the tinnitus).

I definitely find my evil little friend more easy to cope with now that I'm back to regular exercise (weight lifting, hiking in nature, riding my bike, etc), because there's nothing worse for tinnitus than idle hands.

Now I'm back to my previous weight and activity levels, and I think this played a major role in habituation, as well as time.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Oh wow, I'm sorry you got PVFS. What did you do to make it go away?

4. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      Well, it is known that most PVFS tend to subside during the first two years on their own (after that it becomes ME/CFS and the recovery rates decrease dramatically).

In my case I'd say that an antiviral drug similar to Valcyte is what helped the most in my recovery.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I read where people with POTS can exercise better with "recumbent" exercises such as rowing and recumbent bicycles. Is that the case with you? Do you find it harder now to hike and ride your bike?
      Have you ever tried using an ab roller? I had an amazing experience with it after using it for around 10 days. I was so badly conditioned that I was breathing primarily from my upper chest instead of my diaphragm. I had been doing that for I have no idea how long but a very long time. Anyways, after using it for maybe 10 days, I was laying in bed one night and all of a sudden my body instantly switched to diaphragmatic breathing and that's been my normal way of breathing since. It seems like my core muscles were very weakened.

Two days ago, tinnitus was severely stressing me out and I couldn't habituate. I put on an abdominal binder and within 30 to 45 minutes, my mood improved and I could handle the tinnitus way better and mood improved significantly. It seems to allow more blood to go to my brain. Do you know if I made my abs stronger if it would eliminate the need for wearing an abdominal binder? I'm not exactly sure how that works.

6. Óscar PP
      Psychedelic

Óscar PP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coronavirus
      I'm back to my previous exercise levels so I don't know about these other methods. In my case the only thing that helps tinnitus is time, but it never reduces its volume or pitch.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I think I made a mistake with my exercise routine. Previously, I was doing mostly cardio stuff and the rowing machine. I decided to start exercising my core muscles and leg muscles. I hope this will help in the long run. I just recently started working on back muscles and glutes and a few weeks ago started legs. I definitely have seen improvement. The one core muscle I did exercise though last year was the abs. I had a significant thing happen to my body after 10 days of using it. One night I was lying in bed and was breathing from my upper chest (the typical way I have breathed for years and years which is the fight or flight way to breathe), anyways, my body instantly switched to breathing from the diaphragm. I was shocked and wasn't expecting it. Even after stopping the ab wheel for months, that has been the normal way for me to breathe now. So that was amazing.

I am hoping by strengthening my back, shoulders and upper chest muscles, I will be able to significantly improve my posture and hopefully I will get benefits from that as well. My posture has never been great even when I was a kid but after doing some workouts, I feel some effects. It has been easier for me to stand up straighter because before it was a real struggle because my muscles were weak. I still have much more work to do though but hopefully I will see some mood improvements I heard that a good posture can improve your mood and vice versa.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I just discovered I am more deconditioned than I thought. Despite doing some exercising for a month and half now, I decided to do some push ups and sit ups and see how many I could do. I could do 10 push ups and 20 sit ups. This is below what average men should be able to do based on my age based on a couple of charts I saw on the internet. Do you all think if I was able to get my body in shape to "average" levels that my tinnitus would reduce?

-Edit...actually, I just tried push ups tonight and was able to do 17. Maybe I am weaker in the morning due to my condition.