Can Diclofenac (Voltaren) Gel/Topical Cream Cause/Worsen Tinnitus If Applied on the Knee?

Discussion in 'Support' started by FloralDawn, Dec 19, 2020.

1. FloralDawn

FloralDawn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic. Lexapro (cause). Sertraline & loratadine(worsened)
      Hi,

I have inflamed knees that is making my tinnitus and sleep extra hard to get. I've been resting them, icing them, elevating them, taking antioxidant supplements and food (but not too much, I think) to reduce inflammation.

I talked to the on-call doctor at she suggested Voltaren gel. I was afraid it will make my tinnitus worse as an ototoxic drug caused my tinnitus (Lexapro) and two others worsened it (Loratadine and Sertraline). I see the side effects on WebMD, Drugs.com and another/other sites mention Voltaren (oral, apparently) can cause tinnitus, but the gel does not. The on-call doctor thinks it would not affect/worsen my tinnitus.

I really want to get better, as I'm very behind on sleep and not functioning so well, which is not very good for my health. I'm afraid my condition may not get better without the Voltaren gel, but I'm afraid of the ototoxicity, which has induced tinnitus and worsened it. My tinnitus is severe.

Does anyone know of any instances of Voltaren/Diclofenac being applied to the skin in gel/cream form causing/worsening tinnitus? Any ideas of what I should do to help my situation?

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.