Can Eating / Chewing While Wearing AirPods Pro Make Tinnitus Worse Because of the Occlusion Effect?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dogwhistlehead, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Dogwhistlehead

Dogwhistlehead Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2013, worse in 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, acoustic trauma.
      Hi,

I have had tinnitus in my left ear for 10 years. I habituated after some time and the tinnitus didn't bother me much after that. Almost two months ago I had an impact sound trauma at work that resulted in a new very high-pitched sound after about 3 or 4 days witch persists today.

I am struggling a bit with this new sound, but I have been using white noise to mask it with success.

While at work, 4 nights ago, I was using Apple AirPods Pro with the white noise while watching a movie and eating some chocolate during a break. The chocolate had been lying in the fridge so it was quite hard. I had to forcibly bite the chocolate with my front teeth. This resulted in a clack that sounded like a very loud bang, especially with the occlusion effect from the earbuds.

Now I am a little worried whether this could actually cause additional hearing damage. I've been reading a little online, but haven't found any clear answers. Some say that the occlusion effect might increase sound pressure by over 20 dB, while on the other hand, there is nothing about sound from the occlusion effect actually damaging hearing.

I do feel a little anxious and worried now, as I am perceiving a faint fluctuating sound in my head today, kind of like a squeaking wheel turning. I'm not sure if it's real or if I am just imagining it.

Any thoughts? Do you believe noise from inside the head accentuated by the occlusion effect can be dangerous, or am I just letting the worrying and fear get the best of me?

Answers are appreciated. Thank you.

2. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I think that's too short of an exposure. It's not like you were exposed to, say, 130 dB that would cause instantaneous damage.

I wouldn't sweat it.

3. scared8

scared8 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma (mri)
      @Dogwhistlehead, I wonder about this too. I tend to wear earplugs while eating in case my dog barks in the other room or some other noise happens without warning.