Can ETD (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction) Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Quick run down. Spike happened in October 2018. Cue anxiety, depression and sleeplessness nights, puffing on multiple cigars at 1am each night for months in my back garden, often in the freezing cold with minimal clothing on.

During this period, about 8 weeks ago, I tried to clean up my act... went to the gym and swimming, but hurt my back at the end of the first week. But I also noticed after this week my hearing on the left side would go muffled every now and then when I talked.

The occasional muffled feeling has gone but now I have a crackling sensation and wet feeling in my left ear. I think this has been fluid/mucus in my ears or ETD. Coincidentally I've had new noises appear in this ear... like tinkling bells.

Tonight, I noticed my right ear start to crackle. Oddly enough similar noises have started in my right ear, just today.

Is it possible a little fluid or mucus in your Eustachian Tubes can cause new noises? These new noises have been very localised i.e. in my ear and not fluctuating to my head or anything.

Once the tubes drain, could these new noises stop?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      You could use a nasal spray to clear the eustacian tube. I have used it and it helped. But you must spray into your nostril the correct way.
      I use a spray called Otrivine which my gp suggested. Now if you do then let me explain the correct way to use a nasal spray. Standing tilt your head forward. Put the end of the spray into your nostril. If you are spraying the right side of your nose then slightly point the tip of the spray to the right. Don't sniff the spray just breathe normal. Same procedure for the left.
      Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    3. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      Yes. I got my tinnitus because of this.

@Elmer B Fuddled gave the correct way to apply the spray, I also used spray and it helped me.

4. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Mine is from ETD after an infection. I experienced all sorts of crazy sounds during month 2. It did calm down after a few weeks. I also had the crackling and strange feelings in my bad ear. It takes a looooong time to resolve. I found that Sudafed can help clear out the mucus. (Real Sudafed, not the “PE” version.)

5. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I sometimes get it in my "good"ear when I have sinus issues or clogged ET. The tinnitus always goes away once the the ET clears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      How long is sooooo long.

I can't take Sudafed because I take blood pressure meds. Ringing doctor tomorrow to see if there's an alternative.

7. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      My right ear is still messed up and ringing 1.5 years later. It’s definitely better than it was a year ago, I’d say the worst for me was the first four months or so. I’ve sort of stopped caring about it now, I only even realize the tinnitus is there a few times a day. It is sometimes better than other times, it seems to flare up if I get congested or spend too much time in winter weather.

8. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sadly, yes.
      It is possible.

Allergies can also be the cause for ETD.

Feel better soon,

Once

• Like Like x 1
    9. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Possibly. I got tinkling bells in my ears too. I'm trying Flonase and using an EarPopper. EarPopper works much better if you swallow water at the same time using it. I'm not sure if it's ETD or inner ear in my case. Usually my ears crack whenever I swallow when normal.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Quick update... I've been using a steamer once or twice a day with Olbas oil and also doing ET facial massage exercises that I found on YouTube. I also went to the GP who said decongestants are a vicious circle because you get roped into it and generally they recommend steam.

She also had a look in my ears and apparently I have some wax impacted against my left ear drum and a little on my right so I'm to use Olive Oil drops. Glad I went to the GP's because I have ENT appointment in 10 days time and they'd probably send me away because of the wax so this gives me a chance to get ahead with it.

Anyway, I pleased to say that the crackling/squealshing has virtually gone in my left ear and the same with my right. I'm still very hoarse and coughing a lot [my freaking ribs feel like they are broken] and the loud bells I had 4 weeks ago in my left ear have stopped, now it's just a faint tinkle but my main noise almost masks it.

Whilst coming down with a serious chest infection and coughing up shyte that you wouldn't believe took it out of me I think the 3 courses of antibiotics may have taken care of whatever was going on that was causing the muffled speech and pressure across my face feeling.

Things happen for a reason I guess.

And P.S - WHERE THE HELL IS THIS NEUROMOD DEVICE!!!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Getoutofmyear

Getoutofmyear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly COVID-19 vaccine
      Did the tinkling bells go away?

12. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Hi - My noise changes quite a bit. It’s mainly in my left ear. Right now it’s a solid hissing. I got 3 sets of hearing aids the last being expensive Widex Zen. I have bone on bone in my left jaw that may be causing it. Inflammation but it doesn’t hurt.

Is your noise just in one ear? I hope you get better! I know it’s frustrating.