Can Everyday Sounds Cause Further Hearing Damage with Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jaysterk, Jan 28, 2020.

1. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can you describe your ear pain? Is it a constant ache or an intermittent stabbing pain?

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It is constant pain and pressure. It can fade when I haven't been exposed to noise for weeks. I have had stabbing pain sometimes, but only when moving my face, like smiling or frowning, and I believe this is related, in my case, to pressure plus something muscle-related that is blocked and cannot really identify...

3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I haven't undergone TRT so I don't have the experience to compare the two directly. But from what I understand, I'm not suggesting anything to contradict gradual exposure to more sound. I did say that I am wearing my earplugs less and less nowadays, as I agree that increasing exposure in a controlled manner should allow the ears to adjust.

When you work in a noisy city as I do, or even living in a busy household where there can be a lot of clanging and banging of crockery going on the kitchen, there are times you need to use earplugs to protect from further damage. I've found out to my cost that failing to do so can result in setbacks. Presumably those who wear TRT devices may also find occasions when they need to use earplugs as well as, or instead of, their devices.

Anything else you want me to comment on, just ask :)

4. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @Mister Muso

Thank you for the response. Yes. those who opted for TRT are expected to wear ear plugs in certain situations.(i.e., concerts, sporting events, etc,). All I can say is hyperacusis is a beast. I pray that TOMORROW is TODAY for a viable cure. It’s time well overdue!!!