Can Excess Ear Wax and Sound Sensitivity Go Hand in Hand?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack_Ch, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Jack_Ch

Jack_Ch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can these two go hand in hand?

I started getting high pitch ringing in my ears just over two weeks ago, it gradually came with what I’d describe as sound sensitivity too? Basically if I turn my TV on, listen to YouTube on my phone speaker, traffic, supermarket... the hissing would increase, almost like I had electricity running through my head, no pain though at all.

I have seen two doctors who’ve looked in my ears three times and apart from the second doctor spotting some redness which they gave me antibiotics for and a ear spray, which cleared the redness, they didn’t seem to spot anything else. The ringing and sensitivity remained though.

Then the day I came home from the third doctors trip, when they confirmed the redness had cleared up, I felt something inside my right ear come loose/detach and felt amazing relief! The sensitivity dropped instantly and the ringing to the lowest it’s been, in fact I’m not sure if the ringing has actually gone now and I’m just hearing the hiss from the sensitivity... but yeah, I’ve managed to have two nights of better sleep without the need for external sound, and I have a audiologist appointment on Monday to clean any wax, if there is any up there.

I’ve read a lot about ear wax and tinnitus going hand in hand but never ear wax and sensitivity to sound, do you think this could be a cause for it? Or can tinnitus increase with external sounds and I’m confusing it for sensitivity?

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Yes. People call it reactive tinnitus.

I've never heard of excess ear wax causing sound sensitivity...