Can Hyperacusis Develop Later (After Tinnitus Onset)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubbyaman, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Hello. I have bad ringing in my left ear but thankfully just ringing. I'm a year in a half in and have no H. Extremely loud sounds don't hurt at all. They're just loud. Note I dont listen to loud music anymore but have encountered loud noises here and there.

Has anyone on here started out with T only and had H come along later?

Thanks

2. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes, i got T in 99 and was 200% habituated and lived a normal life until 2013 when I developed severe H with no apparent cause.

3. Ring Ding

Ring Ding Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      yeah I had T for 30 plus years was totally habituated, got H after a concert and worse T now. Been about three months of hell.

4. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Yes. I just had T but then listened to one of those binary binaural beat videos and increased my T and caused H, fullness, tweaking and other crap. Binaural Beats are evil.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      For noise related causes, T is caused by whacked hair cells then a few days later the nerves get damaged - as per study - so H and hearing loss/ distortion gets worse in a delayed manner but it's not going to take months rather days or a week or two to get to the peak .
      Then nerves get better and H improves and sound as well but T stays unless it's mild enough so that brain can switch it off.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      So you just woke up one day and some sounds were painful? Without warning signs?

7. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No, it sneaked up on me and developed ove a couple of weeks/a month maybe. But I had been experiencing TTS spasms in response to certain louder sounds sporadically before. Maybe that was a warning sign but those always went away as soon as they came and I didn't even knew there was such a thing as H even so I didn't give it much thought. But now I think I've always had mild H as long as I had T actually. I think Dr. Richard Salvi is right in his theory that everyone with T also got H, just that the majority has it in such a mild form they don't even know it. There's also a brazilian study that strenghtens Salvi's theory.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      does his theory support that H fades and T doesn't?, @lapidus ?

Reasonably I didn't know it, (or even know what it was!), but I had H in my left ear for a few days before T set in. The sensitivity lasted like 2 months. It's gotten light years better since I stopped using foam ear plugs everywhere, and switched to 9bd reduction custom molds for the train / the bar if its necessary. Even in these cases I only typically protect the ear that was sensitive now to facilitate conversation.

9. lapidus

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have no clue. I don't think he mentioned anything about that.