Can I Fly 2 Weeks After Tinnitus Onset?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Egg, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
      Hi!

I have been having tinnitus for a week now and I got it when I was a 12 hour flight away from home. I got some initial treatment here, but I was wondering if it would aggravate it to take a flight back in the second week from the onset of tinnitus. It will be a direct 12 hour flight, but I can acquire some sort of hearing protection according to your recommendations.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is it an Airbus plane? Will you be able to sit towards the front of the plane in the middle of the plane, or at least in an isle seat? Will you be able to get Peltor muffs or Bose noise cancelling headphones? Having 3M foam earplugs would also help.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you by any chance have a link to those Bose noise cancelling head phones you are talking about?

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    5. J.Hartog
      Worried

J.Hartog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      If there would be a problem my guess it would not be the noise, I have never experienced too much noise in an airplane and using earplugs would definitely protect enough. I think the pressure changes would be more scary to me.

6. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      Chew gum on landing and takeoff to equalize the pressure in your ears just in case you have a bit of Eustachian Tube Disfunction and the pressure change is messing with your ears. Chewing gum keeps your ear holes opening so pressure doesn't build up.

7. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      If you use ear plugs, do not use them during take off or landing unless they are Airplanes earplugs or similar. Only use them once the plane reaches cruising altitude.
      Over ear protection is fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Alue flies a lot and says that he uses plugs during take offs and landings, and never has any problems. I had never read about anyone trying it and getting a spike as a result.

10. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wouldn’t risk it with the air pressure changes and a fully occluded ear canal. It could cause issues with the ear drum. Why do you think airplanes plugs have a hole through them? To equalise the pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Alue wrote
      It is difficult to know what to make of it. I guess it makes sense to not take any chances...

12. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You equalize through your Eustachian tubes, not your ear canal. Your ear drum is sealed. There may be a little air/space between the outside of your ear drum and the earplug, but that's about it.

I have asked my ENT about this as well.

I wear foam earplugs while flying from takeoff to landing and have never had a problem. I make sure to wiggle my jaw to equalize during takeoff and landing. When I do take my earplugs out after landing I am careful to take them out slowly while twisting in case there is some small pressure difference.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What aircraft are you flying?

14. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, that is true you do. But if you have your ear canal plugged and there’s a pocket of air between it and the ear drum, it can be an issue because it’s going to be at a different pressure to your middle ear and external air pressure. Usually you equalise your middle ear via ETs and your unplugged ear canal is at the same pressure as the cabin already.
      Having been a scuba diver earlier in life I personally would not risk any possible issues. I also wouldn’t take the advice of an ENT unless I know they are good. Too many bad ones out there.

When you are wiggling your jaw, it is most likely breaking the airtight seal, thus allowing equalisation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

That's why I said there may be a little air/space between the outside of your ear drum and the earplug. Foam earplugs aren't exactly an airtight seal either. Although they probably do slow down pressure changes.

I was a scuba diver too...

I still take advice of professionals over random people. I trust this ENT and he wasn't the only one I've asked.

Yes, that's why I do it. Note that I have the earplugs in the whole time so I still am seeing a pressure differential between the outside of my ear drum and the inside as my ears crackle / pop when I do it.

I was concerned about it too at first, but I have lost count of the number of flights I've been on in the past year and I've never had any issues.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Up to you what you do. I already said what I think. It’s clear you equalise your ears anyway. If you sat there and did nothing, or were asleep, it might be different.

I wouldn’t call some/most ENTs professional. They can be very careless and ignorant. They usually just say stuff to get the patient out and the next one in.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How long do you think I should wait?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have to fly back home at some point. At what point do you think its on the safer side. I've never had too much trouble flying before in terms of my ears. I yawn and move my jaw a lot .

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Egg

Egg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it should be an airbus.

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      These are the quietest aircraft. If you wear some hearing protection, it won't even feel like you are being exposed to any noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Boeing 777 engines are noisy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If it were asleep it might be different whether or not I was wearing earplugs. I'm not sure what that has to do with it. When is the last time you've flown, and what is your procedure with protecting your ears while flying?

That's good, airbus is generally the quietest airline out there, the bigger the plane the better (with airbus). If it's a 12 hour flight it may be an A380 which is by far the quietest passenger air plane out there.

Yes they are, and it pisses me off that all US airlines have stopped flying the A380 and instead fly with the Boeing wide body jets (777s and 787s).

23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How bad are 787?

24. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, just pointing out that foam ear plugs aren’t advisable on take off or landing unless you make sure to equalise, as you do. Someone who doesn’t know that might think they are safe all the time without doing anything.

I flew on a 777 in December and an A380 in January. Both 7hr flights. The A380 was very quiet but the 777 was utter torture. I used airplanes on take off and landing and then switched over to foam earplugs and nc headphones at cruising altitude on the 777. On the A380 I only wore airplanes on takeoff then the nc headphones, often switching them off for periods of time. Such a great plane.
      I won’t fly another Boeing again if I can help it.

Does anyone know if other airbus planes are ok?

25. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    26. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I have worn ER-25 earplugs every flight I’ve been on since T. Worn these at takeoff and landing and never really had any problems.

Only spike I got was a long haul to Miami, sitting near the engines on a very noisy flight.

Sit near the front and wear earplugs and earmuffs and you’ll be fine

• Like Like x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you had any experience with Airbus A319?

28. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I haven't flown in one yet, but I've heard they can be kind of loud. https://talkingpointz.com/the-787-dreamliner-parts-5-6/

A lot. They're not bad, but it's better to be sitting in front of the engines. If you are in the front, landing is going to be the loudest part, but that lasts less than 10 seconds.

29. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks a lot! I am glad that they are not horrible. I had been worried that narrow-body planes might be awful. And thank you for letting me know about the landing.
      Depressing...

30. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I measured the upper deck of an airbus and it was in the 60’s. If my memory is correct I believe the average was around 68dB. It was the quietest airplane cabin I’ve ever been in.

• Like Like x 1