Can I Go to Homecoming Dance with Tinnitus? Please Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by dory camren, Sep 10, 2017.

1. dory camren

dory camren Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/23/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      listening to loud music daily
      Hello everybody,

Well I'll start off by saying I'm a freshman in high school, 14 years old and we are having our first homecoming of the year next week.

I am competing for homecoming queen which means I am kind of required to go to the dance but the problem is, I have tinnitus (of course).

Anyways my question is, is it a good idea to go to the dance with all the loud music playing??

I am planning on buying earplugs for some ear protection but I am worried it is not enough.

My homecoming is next week and I have no time to get custom made earplugs for the dance.

My tinnitus is not bad, it's tolerable but I am terrified of permanent damage if I go to the dance due to all the music playing.

Any advice would help!!! Thank you!!!!

2. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club

Wear earplugs, stand as far away from the speakers as possible, get a dB reader on your phone and hopefully enjoy the night.

If it feels too loud just leave, honestly it's not worth it. Like you said your tinnitus is low atm and I'm sure you don't want that to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      How loud will it be and how long do you think it will be?

Wearing some earplugs may prevent any damage, provided it's not too long and too loud..

4. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      It'll be ok. Go and enjoy it, just take the necessary precautions and have a good time.

5. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Bring earplugs. I would download a decibel app and test the volume just in case. If it's too loud when you get there, you can go home :)

6. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      1. If you go, make sure to insert the earplugs deep enough to gain protection (instructions can be googled).

2. If the music feels too loud, leave. Don't care about social pressure, just leave. Have an excuse prepared in advance.

3. Don't drink alcohol. It might make your ears more vulnurable*, and undermine your ability to asses the sound volume.

Since you're terrified of permanent damage, you probably won't enjoy yourself even if you go. Living with T is a different kind of life, and we may have to skip out on some fun and find ourselves new one. For that reason, I would have stayed at home.

*I have no scientific basis for this claim. It's an assumption.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Crook24

Crook24 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound (NASCAR race)
      Enjoy yourself and don't be too anxious about it. You should be ok.

8. Mark0001

Mark0001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      maybe syringe/flushing ear wax
      On the other hand, you could wait and get the custom made ear plugs for your sophomore... :)

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma