Can Intratympanic Steroid Injections Cause Problems Flying on an Airplane?

Discussion in 'Support' started by zozil_radical, Oct 11, 2020.

1. zozil_radical

zozil_radical Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from MRI Machine
      I will need to fly sometime in the next year. Can an intratympanic steroid injection cause problems while flying on an airplane? What are other possible side effects of an intratympanic injection?

BTW, does anyone know an ENT or clinic in the Minneapolis area who performs intratympanic injections? My ENT prescribed me oral prednisone, but I did not take it because oral prednisone can cause avascular necrosis of the hip, and I already have an orthopedic injury to the hip :(

I’m almost 3 weeks after tinnitus onset...

EDIT:

I did some research.

Regarding flying:
      I found a small study of 7 patients who flew within 90 days after IT injection - none of the 7 patients reported trouble due to flying. I also found a website for an ENT in the UK - he recommends avoiding flying for 90 days after IT injection as a precautionary measure.

Regarding IT complications:
      I found one instance of a patient who suffered from incus necrosis as a result of an IT injection. The incus necrosis resulted in hearing loss. The patient’s hearing was restored, however, after invasive surgery:

A Case of Incus Necrosis Following Oral and Intratympanic Steroid Administration for Sensorineural Hearing Loss

Also, on the website for the ENT in the UK, it said IT injections can cause vertigo, but as long as the injection is performed in the correct location, the risk of vertigo is small.

2. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I am not a doctor but I think the eardrum heals fairly quickly after an injection. You should research healing times and understand if you will be flying within that window. Off the top of my head I can think of several members who have flown to other countries for injection procedures and then flew back without issue, but YMMV.