Can Listening to Someone Cough 8 Hours a Day Every 5 Minutes Lead to Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Dec 28, 2018.

1. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

So, I work somewhere and there is a lady who basically sits near me who won't stop coughing. Has been doing it for a year now and shows no signs of stopping. I am hoping to get out of this job in next few months and never see this situation again.

But, I never really thought about this until she got worse recently. She used to cough in spurts for an hour and then give it a rest. Now, she has started doing it all day long every 2-5 minutes. Loud coughing. I have requested to move away from them, but it seems they wont allow it. Yes, it is annoying.

Anyways, I got concerned recently, to the point that I got a decibel reader out for curiosity (one I calibrated with a real decibel reader I have). It was reading 75 dB about when the cough goes on for 1 to 2 seconds. This goes on again every 2 minutes-5 minutes.

Would something like this lead to me hurting my hearing? I already have some hearing loss, so this is a problem for me. I do not wan't to loss more hearing.

Just very concerned. Am I overworrying about this or is this a genuine concern for me? I put myself in stupid situations in the past and don't want that to occur again.

PS: Please only give reasonable and sound responses. I am already worried enough about the world.

2. Nathan
      No Mood

Nathan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music, Concert, Bad Luck
      No, not at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No.

I can see how it could potentially lead to T spiking, but if that hasn't happened already, there is no reason for you to worry about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Very much doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      @jdjd09 There are some loud coughers out there. Can definitely aggravate T. More likely to lead to TB than increased T. (j/k). Maybe suggest she sees a doctor.

Also ask to sit somewhere else. If it is annoying it’s bad for productivity.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1