Can Mild to Moderate Tinnitus Disrupt Sleep?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tom71, May 23, 2018.

1. Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      I don't think mine is that loud but since it started I've had problems sleeping.

To be honest the sleep problems are the most difficult part of tinnitus.

2. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sure it can. That's why it is of vital importance to use sound enrichment at nighttime. As soon as I had something else to listen to besides my tinnitus, sleep became easier.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      yes....that's the part that is very hard to deal with....you need to try to mask it and finding something that does just enough is tough in the beginning....if you have an iPhone I would suggest downloading the app White Noise and try the cricket sounds or just go on YouTube and search for it. That worked well in the beginning but as weeks passed my tinnitus tone changed. The sound of steam is what works best for me. I play this clip whenever I need relief...what's great is it's so relaxing and people don't really get annoyed by it.

Sleep Well! Boiler Room White noise. 8 Hours!

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      I've been trying white noise and while it helps I still have sleep problems

Maybe I need a different sound?

5. Mellow7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe you do. I try to use natural sounds that approximate the pitch of my tinnitus. My most annoying tone is a hissing/sizzling one in the back of my head. For that I use a wide variety of sounds: heavy rain, crickets or cicadas, ambient meadow sounds, etc. It's as if the signal your brain is sending out, is given the frequency it desperately needs to feel at ease again.

What's your T's pitch at?

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      Steady or slightly undulating high frequency squeal/whistle similar to what you get from electronics

7. Mellow7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      • Like Like x 1
    9. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Yes, I have intrusive tinnitus. I hadn't a good night sleep in 2 months. I sleep about 5 hours per night, broken sleep. I had intrusive T and H since January.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      And thanks too, this has been a more difficult day, work stress exacerbated my T and my sense of calm broke down. Here I thought I was habituating, LOL after a week and a half. For the first time I had to take a half Xanax

But these new sounds may help address the sleep issue which is the main thing bugging me

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Mellow7

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, I get what you mean. Stress is the boogeyman for people with tinnitus. I'm on the on-ramp to my last exams before graduation right now and this too is bringing quite some stress, considering I'm half as prepared as usual because of this noise. Obviously doing half as good or twice as bad as I was in a more peaceful period a few months ago. But getting back your quality of rest, ought to be a firm first step to getting things under control.

Btw, if you have bilateral tinnitus, looking into a 'sound pillow' might help too. That way both ears can get masking, in case you can't sleep on your back.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      Agree. If the sleep is better I'll be taking a big step forward

Have gotten a pillow speaker and portable sound generator for a trip next month

Good luck on your exams

• Like Like x 1
    13. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      I sleep with talk radio on because it tricks my brain into thinking it is the hissing and ringing of AM radio. I also have a fan. Between those two my mild/moderate T is decently masked. My ear on my pillow is sometimes a bit ringy though. And if I happen to have a bad night for some reason I can focus on the conversation of the talk radio rather than think endlessly about my tinnitus. No drugs for me, I'd recommend trying everything before getting on sleep drugs because longterm use can make T worse.

• Like Like x 1
    14. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I also have a high pitched sound, this one worked for me in the past:
      White Noise for Tinnitus Relief , Waterfall...

Or maybe you could get one of those old televisions those emit a high pitch sound also.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      It all depends on you. Finding a masking sound that suits you is an important step. I have for the last 3 months slept without any sound enrichment whatsoever. My T has basically disappeared the last 3 months, it recently came back and only time I notice it or get annoyed by it is in the mornings when I wake up.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I also just noticed that you are new to all this. Your T started this month, so all of this is new to you and it's at this point people often suffer the most. So in the early stages you are very depressed and stressed about it, so the most important thing for you now is to find a sound that you are comfortable with so that you can get sleep. Once you get good sleep, it will only get better from there. That was the case for me and many others. Once you start sleeping well, you cope with your T and everyday life a lot easier.

Best of luck to you!
      Ps: You've only had T for a month (or weeks?). You still have a big chance of getting ridd of it.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tom71

Tom71 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly allergies
      A week and half. Might be allergies or infection. The doctor wants to try steroids and see if that helps. Could also be my tooth grinding, trying to relax my jaw

I have a sound machine that makes an "Everglades" noise with crickets that's helpful at night. Also trying to watch my sleep patterns and make sure they're good

To be honest I'm already starting to relax, and if distracted or in a somewhat noisy environment I often don't notice my T