Can Popping Your Ears Cause a Change in Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kmohoruk, Feb 11, 2019.

1. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      A couple nights ago right before I was going to bed (great timing), I cleared the pressure in my ears. I always do it by opening my jaw slightly and flexing it a bit, which pushes a little air in and pops my ears (I don't know the official name of it). I always do it gently, and have done it ever since I got tinnitus or had to clear pressure in my ears in the past and have never had any issues.

About 10 minutes later when I was laying in bed, I felt a shift in my hearing on my left side. It freaked me out and I tried to stay calm. It settled after about 15 minutes, but I had this bilateral hum present. In the past, I've had a little hum that would come and go depending on my neck tightness and TMJ issues.

It's been about two days, and this louder bilateral low frequency hum is still hanging around.

Has anyone had this before? Could something like a small pressure in my ears cause this?

I'm going to focus on some neck stretches, and using my foam roller to loosen my neck and shoulders to see if that helps settle this.

I imagine something like prednisone would be pointless for this. Maybe a smaller anti-inflammatory like Advil may be a better option eh?.

I was putting on a topical steroid for some eczema on my arm, so I may just stop that for a couple days and see if that does anything.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    2. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      I'll say that, I first figured out how to "properly" pop my ears nearly two months into my tinnitus and when I did it the first time, I noticed an immediate change in my tinnitus (for the better in my case). I think that my infection/ETD caused build-up/pressure in my middle ear and my head was really happy when I finally got the pressure relieved.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kmohoruk
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah I would definitely agree with that as well. Reliving the pressure can help. It's definitely given that "Ahhhhh that's better" feeling to me as well.

I am going to give it a couple more days, but I have a feeling it may have to do with my TMJ and neck stiffness - I've been sitting at a desk for too long and need to take more breaks!

4. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Do tell!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kmohoruk
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It seems now that this Low Frequency T may be jaw related. When I focus on stretching my jaw, relaxing, and stretching my shoulders, it seems to get better and not be as present.

Are there any people on here who have had a Low Frequency Hum that has gone away after awhile?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kmohoruk
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Was wondering if anyone would be able to help tell me if this is ETD/TTTS/or a combo of both?

Since last week after when I went to clear my ears with a gentle pop, I've had this low rumbling/vibrating sound in both my ears. It at times comes and goes, or is constant, or is sometimes in one ear versus the other.

Unfortunately, my TMJ is acting up and is causing me to clench my jaw a bit as well and is causing some fluctuating soreness along my jaw muscles.

I've also had moments where I feel fluid almost "draining" out of my ear, leaving my ear with a bit of a wet feeling (I've had this sensation off and on in the past, but not for awhile).

I've also noticed like other people have posted, when I plug my ears I don't hear the "vibrating sound". So I've started to wonder if this is TTTS playing a bit of a role again.

Thank you very much for any help or information anyone may be able to give :).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019