Can Sleeping with Earplugs Make Tinnitus Worse? Are Wax or Foam Earplugs Better for Sleeping?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Albapv, May 24, 2022.

1. Albapv

Albapv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. Maybe flu, maybe neck
      I have slept with earplugs for years. I used to use wax earplugs, but have switched to foam earplugs.

I have had tinnitus for a month / two months. I'm trying to sleep without earplugs but my neighbors are VERY noisy (Erasmus students). Last night there was no silence until 3 am in the morning and at 7 am I get up to work.

My question is: is it bad to use earplugs to sleep if you have tinnitus? Wax or foam earplugs?

I'm thinking of using them part of the night (until my neighbors decide to go to sleep...).

A strange thing is that, sometimes, in my left ear (the one that I feel blocked or having pressure), when removing the earplug, it causes a beep (my tinnitus is not beep, it is hiss) for a few minutes. I'm trying to use an earplug only in my right ear (and sleeping on my left side).

And to finish, would there be a problem if I didn't push the earplug too hard into my ear? A little bit is often enough, like in the photo, to muffle part of the noise (I would like to introduce it more, but I'm scared by the tinnitus).

1653381833226.jpg

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Bad idea. That gave me a feeling of altered pressure. Use both earplugs. Insert them properly. Buy other brand of earplugs. Those look like earplugs that may stick (sort of get glued) to your ears and pop when removed (very bad).

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Albapv

Albapv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. Maybe flu, maybe neck
      Thank you. Those are foam earplugs. My doctor once told me they were better than wax earplugs. I also know there are silicon ones, but my ears are really tiny so I can't use those.

Which ones would you recommend?

About altered pressure, I have a constant pressure feeling in that ear. My doctor saw nothing, but I'm looking for a second opinion. I also hear a 'chsh' when I yawn or open mouth... I don't know but I don't feel that is normal!

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I use Ototap foam earplugs, but I don't know if they sell them outside Spain. Your earplugs look a bit like 3M earplugs and I tried those; the earplugs glued to my ear and popped when removed, so I did not use them anymore, only once. Ototap earplugs do not pop. It's a different kind of foam.
      I do not think that's normal. You can check with the TMJ (jaw) doctor, but probably they will not be able to point at the cause unless it is very very obvious... and I would NOT recommend a jaw MRI... super loud... not a good idea.

Using only one earplug can also give you altered pressure. It is better to use both earplugs.

If you sleep facing up, your best bet would be sleeping with earmuffs. They are not super comfortable but if you do not turn around a lot in your sleep, that may be a good option. I have slept with earmuffs when there was a lot of noise outside. My place is usually quiet, so I do not use hearing protection for sleeping. Only on 31 December and days like that... noise, firecrackers etc

5. beetjuice

beetjuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March or April 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or ear infection
      I don't see why sleeping with only one earplug is bad. I do this too when it is noisy outside. It's not like your ears are connected to each other. I would just advise to sterilize them, or dispose every night, to prevent infection.

6. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Long time earplugs for sleep dependent here. I stopped after getting tinnitus but I recently started again and it’s going well. It’s not making tinnitus worse at all.