Can Talking on the Phone Cause a Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sean, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      My tinnitus was very quiet since this morning. I just got off the phone and now I have a spike (not too loud)... This has happened many times before as well.

I know it's strange but does this happen to any one else?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You may want to limit the time you spend on the phone. You might also want to lower the volume, or to try to remember to press your phone to a spot away from your ear opening.

I got a massive spike lasting longer than a month after pressing a phone to my ear with its volume set to max.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I always forget! I was in good mood since my T was very low and i forgot. I only spoke was like 5 mins from regular multiline business phone. I dont think volume was max but it was some what high.

I cant believe i forgot! Now i feel bit anxious since i hear slight whistle! Did you press phone against your ear for long time and talked on the phone?

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      As luck would have it, the person who called me had some issue with her phone that made her sound loud even on phones with volume set to medium. She also raised her voice when I picked up the phone. I told her that I would call her back using another phone. So in my case (just like when I got my first acoustic trauma) the noise lasted less than a second. As a result, my pleasant hiss changed to a high pitch tone that is a lot harder to ignore. I got better over the next 6-8 weeks, but my T is high pitch tone a lot more often now, compared to the time before I got that secondary acoustic trauma.

On the day I got my secondary acoustic trauma (at the end of May) I was also relaxed and happy about my T getting better... I Think that I was able to heal from the secondary trauma, but I will never know how I would have felt had it not taken place.

About 36 hours after the secondary acoustic trauma, I realized that my T was getting louder and more high pitched. I went to the emergency, lied about being exposed to the noise of a fire alarm, and got some prednisone. I have no idea whether or not it made a difference...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bill Bauer , It really sucks to worry about this type of shit!

But do you this would cause any damage? I really dont think it would cause any damage .. But what the hell would explain spike??

for sure my T is louder and i know its not a random spike because same thing happend to me 2-3 times ..Super strange! I dont get it because no way phone conversation would cause spike.

perfectly fine day gone down the toilet !! I just cant remember to put the phone away from my ears ..i had told my self i will always put the phone away and i forgot. I am really annoyed at my self !

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I can relate. Try to forgive yourself. Anyone can make a mistake like that.
      Our ears have been compromised. What a healthy person won't even notice, can have huge consequences for us.
      I know.....

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bill Bauer , My T is very very reactive to loud noises. If i continue to expose my ears to loud noises , I will have spike for ever.
      I wonder how many people who constantly have spike because they go to loud places.
      Thank you for your reply.

8. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      This has happened to me as well. At times even though I adjust the telephone to the most quiet setting, afterward I get a slight spike for some reason. It lasts a while and then subsides.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Can't believe that shit !
      If I keep phone away from my ear then I never get it .

10. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I keep the phone too far away, I can not clearly hear what the caller is saying soooooooooooo yep.. you better believe it !!!

11. Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sean - You might also try to express yourself in a more dignified way !

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Use e-mail whenever you can...

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bobbie7 , thank you for your advise .

14. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems/ETD
      My mom always said her spiked when she talked on a cell phone, the house phone didn't.

I noticed when I had my high pitched noises that it would totally spike mine. I'm kind of speaker phone user now.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Shera , again ,mine doesn't spike if I keep phone away from my ear . But today I forgot to do that.

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What are you talking about? What part of any of his posts sound "undignified" to you?!

• Like Like x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, there is something about the sound going directly into one's ear...

18. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think she's referring to his use of profanity. Some members take offense to it.

I know you like studies like I do. I thought these were interesting!

Smart people swear:
      https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists

Are more authentic and honest:
      https://qz.com/881289/a-new-study-l...ty-shows-people-who-curse-are-more-authentic/

And it can help reduce pain:
      https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-do-we-swear/

So there we go. We're just being honest, intelligent people looking for pain relief. :LOL:

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Tinker Bell , so I am authentic, intellegent and trying to ease my pain lol .

Word Shit is offensive to her ? Members here use F word all the time .

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bill Bauer , I am waiting for her reply also .

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bill Bauer , I just woke up and I have same exact whistle as yesterday .
      I am sure lot of members will have hard time believing this .
      If we tell this to any one who doesn't know about T ..they will think we are nuts lol

22. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Ha, you absolutely are!

I'm guessing it is. I didn't notice anything else. Those words do not bother me, probably because I use them. :censored: I do not care for derogatory, racist or sexist terms -- but I don't recall you ever using such language here. I've also realized there are some terms that are considered not politically correct in the U.S. that are acceptable or used elsewhere in the world. Some are automatic reprimands on one of the forums I frequent, so I cringe if I read them here.

Tinnitus is painful and awful. Sorry, but sometimes profanity is the only descriptor that works.

Oh and regarding your higher pitch whistle, allergies by any chance? My seasonal allergies are awful and have made my tinnitus higher pitch.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Tinker Bell , I don't like to use profanities . Yesterday I was in such a good mood and just because of simple phone call my T spiked up so I was sooooo annoyed .
      Didn't mean to offend any one .
      I don't have allergies but if I do get allergies or cold my T spikes right away .
      Some times T spikes before I am
      Getting sick ..it's an early indicator sometimes .

• Like Like x 1
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am so sorry to hear that...

At least it is not getting louder (as was the case for me the day after my secondary acoustic trauma). Hopefully your trauma wasn't as serious as mine, and you won't take months to heal...

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bill Bauer , Thank You Bill. I feel better right now. I have had T from last 6 years and normally with such exposure it does subside to baseline.

When I get spike i loose hope and forget that it does subside.

one very strange thing had happend while back. I had gone to concert.it was live concert but not as loud as rock concert. I had MEGA T after that. I thought my life was done and i thought torture will never end. Loudness was 10 ou out of 10.
      After 3-4 months i took 5 hours flight and as soon as we landed T had subsided to base level. While back some one else also had similar experience.
      Since you are good at digging up studies , i thought let me mention to you. Not sure if there are any studies on this.

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Same here... You always assume that That is the noise you will have to deal with, from now on.
      Flying had actually improved your T?! This is a wonderful story!

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bill Bauer , I meant spike subsided all the sudden! Same day. That was the worst spike i had . I think this was back in 2012 or 2013.
      Some one had mentioned same thing while back.

Please note, my T didnt get better only my Spike subsided.

28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For all we know, if not for that flight, THAT "spike T" could have still been your T...

29. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I cannot talk on the phone without using a tightly wound up cotton ball in my ear. The cotton absorbs the sound just enough to help me keep from having tinnitus spikes.

30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you tried using an ear plug?